Friday 23 March 2018

Taghmon maintain unbeaten record

DOMINATING THE second-half, Taghmon-Camross cruised to the most comfortable of 16-point victories over a disappointing Faythe Harriers outfit in this Junior hurling championship Group B game at Rathangan on Saturday last.

Having controlled the opening ten minutes, at the end of which they led by 0-5 to nil through points from Jack Murphy, Stephen Stafford, Pierce Doyle, Pat Nolan and David Bridges, they seemed to have lost their way in the second quarter, allowing the town side back into the game.

A John Walsh pointed free opened the Harriers account after 13 minutes, and this was followed seven minutes later by a Ben O'Brien goal, with his long-range shot finding the net to leave the minimum separating the sides (0-5 to 1-1). After a Michael Hanrahan point had brought the sides level, the Harriers were enjoying their best period.

Taghmon-Camross regained their composure approaching the break with Stephen O'Gorman finding the net from close in after 27 minutes, a score that helped them to a 1-5 to 1-3 interval lead.

Once Taghmon-Camross stepped up the tempo of their game on the resumption, the Harriers faded right out of contention, so much so that they could only muster one further point from Michael Hanrahan after 55 minutes.

By then the eventual winners had picked off some excellent points through Pierce Doyle, while Stephen O'Gorman and Richie Comerford added goals as they ran out the easiest of winners, helping them to maintain their unbeaten start to the campaign.

Taghmon-Camross: Seán O'Gorman; Robert Nolan, Alan Nolan, Darren Colfer; Mark O'Gorman, Jack Murphy (0-1), Johnny Waters; Ian Carty, Pat Nolan (0-1); Stephen Stafford (0-1), David Bridges (0-2), Pádraig O'Gorman; Pierce Doyle (0-8, 6 frees), Richie Comerford (1-0), Stephen O'Gorman (2-1). Subs. - Michael Nolan for Colfer, Conor O'Keeffe for Stephen O'Gorman, Darren Carty for I. Carty.

Faythe Harriers: Aaron Lacey; Ciará Kirwan, Shane Howard, Ross Lynch; Dean Walsh, Fran Cleary, Jamie McDonnell; Ben O'Brien (1-0), Brian Denton; Ian Mitchell, Michael Hanrahan (0-2), Shane Wilde (0-1); Stephen Kearney, John Walsh (0-1 free), Conor Halligan. Subs. - Colin Keling for Wilde, Eoin Roche for Halligan.

Referee: Henry Sinnott (Bannow-Ballymitty).

Gorey Guardian