Monday 17 December 2018

St. Martin’s fully punish Fethard’s lack of firepower

St. Martin's 1-10 Fethard 0-6

Ciarán Lyng of St. Martin’s holding off John Tubritt, the sole Fethard scorer
Ciarán Lyng of St. Martin’s holding off John Tubritt, the sole Fethard scorer

Jason Goodison

St. Martin's had far too much for a Fethard side which appeared to lack a cutting edge in their first Group A game in the Tom Doyle Supplies Senior football championship in Cushinstown on Sunday.

This lack of Fethard firepower is evident from their list of scorers, with John Tubritt posting all six of their points, four from dead balls.

On the opposite side, a more vibrant Martin's outfit, with seven different men on the scoresheet, created their scores far better.

In truth, they could be criticised for not putting the game to bed earlier. They ran up eight wides, whilst registering just five scores, as they cut through St. Mogue's with relative ease in the first-half.

Fethard did take the only lead they would have in the early stages, when Tubritt knocked over his first free after Aaron Maddock fouled Joe Sutton.

It would certainly be a shortlived lead as Jack Devereux, supplied by Paudie Kelly, got their scoring tally moving in the perfect wa when he finished high into the net for the game's only goal.

Fethard's kick-outs were causing them problems, and these errors were soon punished as Jamie Carty, Darren Codd and Ryan Murphy pointed to put some distance between the sides.

Two more Tubritt scores from relatively close range kept Fethard in touch before Jake Firman produced an impressive score to end the half with St. Martin's four points to the good (1-4 to 0-3).

After the re-start it appeared that the Wexford District club would go for the jugular. Carty's effort onto the post was followed with two quick scores, from Ciarán Lyng and Devereux.

But, St. Martin's began to coast and dropped their intensity. On the other end, St. Mogue's were worse. They spent the first 20 minutes of the half looking for a score and, while they lacked creativity, they also needed someone other than John Tubritt to be able to hit the target.

After their quick flurry, St. Martin's scored the third point of the half in the 45th minute. Murphy found Firman and it became a three-score game (1-7 to 0-3) as the writing appeared to be on the wall.

Firman scored again before Tubritt finally showed there was some life in Fethard. He got a quick brace, both from frees, but no game-changing goal ever looked to be forthcoming.

Kyle Firman sent one over, becoming the only substitute to get on the scoresheet, and Murphy fed Devereux for the saints' final score in this comfortable win.

The drama hadn't quite finished yet, as Garrett Foley saw red for a clash with Harry O'Connor. In truth, it's probably the only refereeing decision that went against Fethard all afternoon.

Tubritt got his sixth to call time on a disappointing day for a side that will need improved performances should they wish to finish at the business end of the group.

St. Martin's: Luke White; Aaron Maddock (capt.), Harry O'Connor, Philip Dempsey; Ryan Murphy (0-1), Paudie Kelly, Conor Firman; Daithí Waters, Ben Maddock; Adam Cantwell, Ciarán Lyng (0-1), Jake Firman (0-3); Darren Codd (0-1), Jamie Carty (0-1), Jack Devereux (1-2). Subs. - Eoin O'Leary for Kelly (19), Peter Barry for Carty (35), Kyle Firman (0-1) for Codd (45).

Fethard: Kieran Furlong; Seán Donohoe, Daniel Mullan, Martin Power; Daire Barden, Graham O'Grady, Christopher Molloy; Daniel Johnston, Richard Waters; Jimmy Sutton, Mark Wallace, Garrett Foley; Joe Sutton, John Tubritt (capt., 0-6, 4 frees), Jean-Luc Tubritt. Subs. - Jesse Foley for Wallace (31), Martin Doyle for Donohoe (41), Darren Foley for Jimmy Sutton (41).

Referee: David Jenkins (Gusserane).

Gorey Guardian