Saturday 24 February 2018

Bunclody crash out

BANNOW-BALLYMITTY bounced HWH-Bunclody out of the Lodgewood Engineering Intermediate football championship with a little to spare in St. Patrick's Park on Thursday last.

The match, played in horrid, teeming rain, was one for the purists. Slippery conditions meant just 2-1 of the total scores came from play with no fewer than 15 dead ball scores being registered. Defences were also excellent, with Bannow, in particular, impressive not just in the tackle but also moving the ball through the back seven into midfield.

Indeed, Bunclody hit as many uprights in the opening half as they did scores (three). They had that trio of frame-clanks before Bannow produced the opening Niall Harney free in the ninth minute.

Ben Brosnan's meek shot was easily collected by John Byrne in the goal but, after Harney added a second placed ball, there was nothing the Bunclody 'stopper could do to deny Michael Barry after the corner-forward was released on goal by John Sinnott (1-2 to nil).

Following a Garry Murphy point and Brosnan's first successful free, the 2011 finalists finally opened their account two and a half minutes before the interval with the first of six Aidan Nolan dead balls.

Two more scores quickly followed, with Byrne becoming the second, and last, of his team to register as the sides went in at the break separated by just four (1-4 to 0-3).

Bunclody got within three five minutes after the interval, and twice more as the half wore on. Their one real chance to grab a dramatic levelling goal came and went when Sinnott superbly blocked a Mylie Conners goal-bound effort in the final five minutes.

The scare kicked Bannow into life with Brosnan nailing a pair of late frees. However, the county star kept the best for last.

The hard work was done by Philly Murphy. The substitute hassled and robbed his marker of possession, quickly released the excellent Harney who in turn sent Brosnan away - the Wexford forward made no mistake to wrap up a hard-earned triumph and a last eight berth for his club.

Bannow-Ballymitty: Jack Farragher; M.J. Doran, Art Sweetman, Art Murphy; Donal McLoughlin, Niall Murphy, Darragh Murphy; David Currid, John Sinnott; Shane Murphy, Garry Murphy (0-1), Ben Brosnan (1-4, 0-4 frees); Michael Barry (1-0), Gary Morton, Niall Harney (0-4 frees). Subs. - Jon Reville for D. Murphy, (temp.), Reville for Morton, Philly Murphy for D. Murphy, Conor Neville for S. Murphy.

HWH-Bunclody: John Byrne (0-1 '45); Conor Crean, John Atkinson, Enda Slevin; Seán Kenny, Colm Farrell, Steven Finn; Bryan O'Hara, James Moorhead; Mark Sheehan, Conor Kinsella, Keith O'Hara; Barry Kehoe, Aidan Nolan (0-6 frees), Podge Kehoe. Subs. - Kevin Dunne for P. Kehoe, Mylie Connors for Sheehan.

Referee: Brendan Martin (Ballyhogue).

Gorey Guardian

Promoted Links

Promoted Links