Sunday 21 January 2018

Rugby captain in Ferns hit-and-run

A HIT-AND-RUN motorist who is captain of a Dublin rugby team drove over the foot of a local woman as he left the Apple Green service station in Ferns. Graham Buckley (25) of 51 Robin Hill in Sandyford, County Dublin admitted driving off after leaving Angela Breen from Newtown in Ferns with three fractured metacarpals on the morning of May 12 in 2012.

He waited until the injured woman was brought into the shop at the service station and then took off, this time colliding with the car of a man called Brendan Murphy, though no damage was caused.

Murphy kept the Gardaí informed as he followed the defendant to Kilthomas.

It was there that Garda Anthony Kingston discovered Buckley and his Volkswagen Golf. The car had crashed and was on its side. The driver, captain of the third team at Terenure rugby club, had a strong smell of liquor on his breath, so he was arrested on suspicion of drink driving but he refused to give blood or urine sample at the barracks in Enniscorthy.

At one stage he lay on the floor and claimed he could not breathe but he recovered after he was told that a sample would be taken from him if he was brought to the hospital.

However, when the matter came to court, Judge John Lindsay was obliged to dismiss the drink drive charge before him of failure to provide a urine sample. Estate agent Buckley should have been charged with failure to provide blood, he ruled. The defending barrister offered an apology to Ms. Breen and said that his client 'just took off'' because he had panicked. He had been out the night before and went to the Apple Green in order to buy a coffee.

The accused, soon to be a father, offered a guilty plea to all hit-and-run charges but was anxious that he would lose his job and be obliged to emigrate if disqualified from driving. He was willing to make a substantial donation to the court poor box and to carry out community service.

Judge Lindsay indicated that he intended to take away Buckley's licence but maybe not for a full four years. The case stands adjourned until May 6 fore a probation report.

Gorey Guardian

Promoted Links

Promoted Links