Green light for €26,000 in environmental funding in Wexford
A raft of new funding for Wexford environmental projects has been announced, with 18 projects in the county receiving a total of €26,000 from local initiatives ranging from bee-keeping to biodiversity.
The Local Agenda 21 Environmental Partnership Fund supports local environmental initiatives by communities, individuals and not-for-profit groups, with match funding from local authorities.
The Fund supports small scale non-profit environmental projects such as allotments, community gardens, compost schemes, rainwater harvesting schemes, educational initiatives and environmental exhibitions.
'Eligible projects are those that will support and complement, at a local level, national environmental policies such as those on waste, biodiversity, climate change, air, water and sustainable development,' said Minister Paul Kehoe.
Following is a list of all those in the county to benefit from the funding and amounts awarded:
- Scoil Mhuire, Taghmon. School allotment and sensory garden. To develop awareness of the importance of recycling, reuse and recycling. Training, education and similar awareness-raising initiatives. Environment fund award €428, Local authority aware €428.
- Glenbrien Village Renewal Co. Ltd. Enduring and Sustainable care and maintenance of environment in Glenbrien. On-going care and maintenance of the local Flora and Fauna area's of Glenbrien through raising critical awareness and clean up interventions, €100 environmental fund award, local authority award €100.
- Leave no Trace Ireland. Become a Leave No Trace Champion for Wexford, schools workshops, €1,100 environmental fund award, local authority award €1,100.
- People for Trees (Ireland) LTD.t/a Crann. Crann's Bring a Tree to School Education Programme. Create awareness amongst students of the benefits of native trees to their environment and associated planting scheme for use as an outdoor classroom, €500 environmental fund award and local authority award of €500.
- Paul Furey T/A Really Grand Events, Educational Workshop for Energy Flag and Green Schools. Promote an educational & fun workshop for energy and green issues, environmental fund award €700 and local authority award €700.
- ECO-UNESCO, Youth Media and Sustainable development. To raise awareness in young people about sustainable development issues, environmental fund award €937.50 and local authority award €937.50.
- Green Bee Education. Primary school biodiversity workshops to teach primary school students about environmental issues, with a particular focus on Irish pollinators, environmental award €900 and local authority award €900.
- Marine Dimension. Public understanding of Ireland's marine and coastal biodiversity educational workshops. To provide an education and outreach programme to raise public awareness, environmental award €1,325 and local authority award €1,325.
- Will Warham, Jamestown Nature Reserve, Oylegate. Nature Workshops at Jamestown. Varied series of nature workshops, environmental award €375, local authority award €375.
- ESD Training, 4 Pedal Energy Green Schools Day. Delivering pedal energy day of action to primary schools to help achieve the targets set in their energy action plans, environmental award €500, local authority award €500.
- Ciara Hinksman, T/A Earth Force Education. Wexford Forest School Project, to continue to grow forest school program in County Wexford in partnership with the Irish National Heritage Park, environmental award €1,650, local authority award €1,650.
- Kiltealy Hall Development Group. Awareness and education of the unique flora and fauna of the Blackstairs Mountains to create a community park in the village of Kiltealy to showcase the diverse flora and fauna of the Blackstairs Mountains, environmental award €750, local authority award €750.
- Irish Wildlife Trust. Outreach in County Libraries School and Community Environmental Education Conduct biodiversity educational talks and events at local libraries, environmental award €912.50, local authority award €912.50.
- Eco Advocacy. Invasive Species and diseases and Bio-Diversity loss in Wexford. To educate professionals the public teachers and students on the challenges posed by invasive plants, environmental award €700, local authority award €700.
- Global Action Plan. Primary environmental education workshops To deliver age relevant environmental awareness workshops on the themes of water conservation, climate change, biodiversity and global citizenship, environmental award 750, local authority award €750.
- Amawele. Amawele Local to Global Environmental, Links Irish and South African schools through development education and civil society projects, environmental award €200, local authority award €200.
- Robin Barry. Bee Wise Educate and inform primary and secondary schools of the importance of protecting our environment with regard to protection of the local environment and biodiversity, environmental award €500, local authority award €500.
- Coastwatch. Coastwatch shore audit and status positive action and exhibition to make local communities more aware of their shore through LA21 & SDG goal 14 training sessions, environmental award €1,400 and local authority award €1,400.