Saturday 24 February 2018

Chalet gutted on busy day for fire crews

The chalet at Sandy Lane, Ardamine, which was gutted by a fire on Friday afternoon
The chalet at Sandy Lane, Ardamine, which was gutted by a fire on Friday afternoon
Fire crew at the scene of the blaze at a chalet in Sandy Lane
The gorse fire at Kilhanue Lane

Fintan Lambe

The services of a fire tender and a water tanker from Bunclody were called to assist Gorey fire service on a busy Friday evening last week as local crews responded to two simultaneous call-outs - a chalet fire in Ardamine, Courtown, and a gorse fire at Kilnahue Lane, Gorey.

The first emergency call came at 4.10 p.m. when the gorse fire was discovered in the field bounding the Carnew Road and Kilnahue Lane, close to Gorey Gaelscoil.

Flames could be seen through the roadside fence, and thick smoke spread across a large area in the Hollyfort direction, but fortunately the busy Carnew Road wasn't badly affected.

One unit from Gorey fire service attended, and a back up crew from Bunclody was also called to the scene. A hydrant at the Gaelscoil was used for a water supply as was the tanker from Bunclody.

Access was gained to the field and the blaze was eventually extinguished. The crews remained at the site until 6.50 p.m. to ensure all was safe.

In the meantime, a second crew from Gorey fire station was called to a chalet fire on Sandy Lane, Ardamine at 4.20 p.m. The interior of the wooden structure was extensively damaged in the blaze. It was unoccupied at the time.

Once the scene was made safe, the crew returned to Gorey to assist with the efforts at Creagh. No information was available on the cause of either fire.

Also last week, one unit from Gorey fire service was called to assist at a single vehicle crash on the M11 at 7.25 a.m. on Thursday.

The accident occurred in the northbound lane of the motorway at the Junction 20 Arklow exit. The single occupant, a woman in her thirties, was being treated in an ambulance when the crew arrived. They assisted the Arklow fire crew and gardaí with traffic safety and clearing the scene.

Then on Saturday at 9.15 p.m., two units from the Gorey fire service responded to an emergency at a mobile home at the Tara Glen holiday park in Ballymoney.

The problem centred around a dishwasher which was smouldering. They removed it from the holiday home and ventilated the smoke. The crew returned to base at 10.10 p.m.

Gorey Guardian

Promoted Links

Promoted Links