Unveiling of sixth historic plaque
North Wexford Historical Society has unveiled its sixth blue plaque marking a historic site in Gorey.
The plaque has been placed at La Verna, the small housing scheme on the Fort Road, which sits on part of the second palace of Bishop Ram, and the Ram family.
The plaque was unveiled by vice chairman of the Historical Society, Willie Willoughby, and Cllr Joe Sullivan, cathaoirleach of Gorey Municipal District which is supporting the scheme.
Willie explained that Bishop Ram, who secured the Charter for the founding of Gorey in 1619, had his first palace on Main Street where the Permanent TSB is now. The second palace was built in 1752, and sat on grounds which extended to the Showgrounds and part of Gorey Town Park. The site included a Franciscan church and a convent for the Poor Clare nuns. The house was destroyed by canon fire in 1798. Rebels had seized canons in the Battle of Tubberneering, and fired them from Gorey Hill.
Willie added that the farmyard and the Franciscan church survived, and it remained in use as a hall up to the 1950s. Gorey Little Theatre Group staged several plays there.
The other historical plaques are at: Market Square; the Market House; the fire station car park marking the site of the Rams Arms Hotel; Gorey Bridge marking the site of two churches; and at the old workhouse at Ramstown.