Friday 15 November 2019

Rolestown NS land Junior Division 3 title in style

Rolestown NS celebrate their win in the Fingal Schools Finals.
Rolestown NS celebrate their win in the Fingal Schools Finals.

ROLESTOWN NS landed the Fingal Schools Junior Boys Division 3 in style last Tuesday at Parnell Park with a brace of first half goals proving the big difference on the day.

Corner forward Isaac Kiely opened the scoring for Rolestown in explosive fashion with a well taken goal and that was followed with a good point from centre forward Eoghan O'Donnell.

Rolestown's second goal of the game came midway through the half with O'Donnell getting the crucial score and Sean Griffin slotted over their second point.

Crucially all of this dominant play came with Rolestown facing an extremely strong wind and to hold a 2-2 to 0-3 lead at half-time against the elements was a major confidence boost for the young Ravens lads.

Key to holding that advantage at the break was the performance of the Rolestown defence which stood firm in the face of many Lusk attacks and the midfield pairing of Daniel O'Reilly and Alan Manning also performed very well.

Rolestown started the second half in impressive fashion with a point from Matthew King but Lusk battled back bravely and reduced the margin to just four midway through the second half.

The crucial score of the second half came five minutes from the end from Rolestown midfielder Alan Manning who soloed straight through the heart of the Lusk defence beating three boys before smashing the ball to the back of the net.

Daniel O'Reilly then wrapped up the win with a fine point. Overall this was a very good performance from Rolestown but the Lusk boys can feel equally proud of their efforts. They were very competitive and but for a number of poor wides it would have been a much closer game. A POWERFUL performance from St Mary's NS of Garristown saw them clinch the Girls division 4 Fingal Schools' title at Parnell Park last Thursday. Two opening half goals from Jennifer Dowling put them on the road to victory and further points from captain Shannon Rock, Ruth Morgan and Dowling saw them hold a 2-3 to 1-0 halftime lead.

Things got even better for Garristown immediately after the restart with a great goal from Ruth Morgan after she burst through the heart of the St Eithne's defence before smashing to the net. Their fourth goal came midway through the second half when Amber Smith squeezed home a shot to the net from a near impossible angle. Second half points from Rock, Morgan and Emily Carvin put the gloss on this win for Garristown.