Thursday 22 August 2019

Glebe get what they deserve in cup tie

Charlie Cahill Cup

Brian Baneham

Glebe North crashed out of the Charlie Cahill Cup following a disappointing display at Clifden Road on Sunday.

Cherry Orchard 3 Glebe North 0

The Balbriggan side showed little evidence of their recent upturn in league form and paid dearly for a series of defensive frailties early on.

Although the game was effectively over by the half-time whistle - the visitors were already three down - Glebe spurned a glorious chance to make it one-apiece at the mid-way point of the first half.

Sean O'Connor failed to convert from six yards out, allowing the Orchard keeper to save comfortably, and to compound Glebe's misery, the hosts doubled their league from the resulting counter- attack.

Had the visitors equalised at that stage it may have changed the course of the tie, but instead they fell two behind, thus leaving themselves with a proverbial mountain to climb.

The performance came as a big disappointment to Glebe boss Liam Kelly, especially considering the positive results that have been achieved in recent weeks. But on Sunday he felt his team handed the initiative to Cherry Orchard.

'If you start the way we did, you're going to get punished…we were second to everything and we got what we deserve which is absolutely nothing.'

Indeed, the defensive inadequacies could be seen as early as the fourth minute when a lack of communication allowed the home side to break the offside trap, leaving keeper Nicky Maypotter helpless to prevent the opening goal.

The tie was played in blustery conditions, but Glebe tried desperately to get a foothold in the game and created a couple of half-chances before being dealt a blow on 25 minutes.

Hot on the heels of O'Connor's earlier missed chance, the home side broke swiftly and once again profited from a poor clearance. Despite Maypotter's best efforts he saw his net bulge for a second time.

With half-time approaching Glebe's defence was breached once more. A 50/50 tackle on the edge of the box - which the Glebe players felt was a foul on their defender - fell kindly to Cherry Orchard's frontman, who made no mistake in side-footing to the bottom corner of the net.

Having banked a three-goal lead, the hosts were reasonably content to sit back with men behind the ball for the remainder of the game.

Sean O'Connor forced the Orchard keeper into a superb save in the first minute after the restart which may have instigated a comeback had it gone in, but in essence the home side were comfortable in seeing out the game and advancing to the quarter-finals.

Despite the defeat, Kelly's men haven't long to nurse their wounds, with a crucial league match against St. Pat's CY on Wednesday.

With a couple of wins still needed to avoid relegation, the Glebe boss is confident their cup exit won't affect their fight against the drop.

Glebe North: Nicky Maypotter, Phil Kavanagh, Reece Mc Enteer, Jason Rankin, Ciaran O'Connor, Noel Barrett, Austin Mc Cann, Keith Murray, Luke Kimmage, Stephen Nolan, Sean O'Connor.

Fingal Independent