Saturday 18 November 2017

Draw something for Skerries Town to Crowe about

ST MOCHTA'S SKERRIES TOWN - SKERRIES Town came up against former Bohemians and Sporting Fingal star Glen Crowe as they came away from Porterstown with a hard-earned point in their first game of 2013 on Sunday morning.

The home side, strengthened in the transfer window by the inclusion of several new players, including Crowe who recently left Senior Division outfit Malahide United, were a totally different proposition to the team who suffered a 2-0 defeat in Skerries last October. In the circumstances, this was definitely a point gained after a game that for the first 55 minutes was nearly a damage limitation exercise. St Mochtas started the game in lively fashion and should have gone ahead as early as the fifth minute when keeper Shane Davis blocked a shot from six yards from one of the Mochtas strikers. The respite was short-lived as a Skerries free kick was cleared down the left and in classic counter-attack fashion the Mochtas winger got to the endline and his cross to the near post was turned into the net. At this stage and as the half progressed, the visitors were under constant pressure, with Mochtas winning most of the individual battles. And Skerries' problems were compounded when striker Paul Cashman injured his ankle and had to be replaced by Gavin Drumm. A positional reshuffle ensued which steadied the ship somewhat, and when half-time came the Skerries management team were happy with the one-goal deficit as the break gave them a chance to regroup. In truth, the first 10 minutes of the second half didn't promise much, but then came the chance that Skerries had been patiently waiting for. A build-up in midfield gave Shane Coleman the chance to go by his marker and although his first attempt at goal was blocked, the ball fell to Mark Doyle on the endline and his low drive across the goal was slotted home by the in-rushing Alan Capper. This was the injection that Skerries needed and for the remaining half-hour they were more than competitive, continually taking the game to a Mochtas side that had been in complete control. A quick free kick by Richie Glynn - who got through his first 90 minutes on his way back from injury - played in Capper again, but his firsttime shot was parried by the home keeper and dropped over the bar. Overall, this was a good result against a team who will improve in the second half of the season. Positives from the Skerries viewpoint were the continued good form of centre-backs Steven Hogan and Ryan Beggs and the introduction of Coilte Dillon, who had a very solid game on his debut. -In the only other Division 1B game played on Sunday, Portmarnock won 2-0 at Templeogue United, a result that lifts them into third place, ahead of Skerries, with a chance of mounting a promotion challenge. -Swords Celtic's 100% record in the Sunday Major bit the dust when they kicked off 2013 with a 1-1 draw at home to the division's other remaining unbeaten club, St John Bosco. The result leaves Swords four points adrift of leaders Dublin University but with three games still in hand.

Promoted Links

Promoted Links