Monday 15 October 2018

Super Syddan advance with big win over Simonstown in the Senior Cship

Senior Football Championship SYDDAN .................... 5-12 SIMONSTOWN .......... 0-9 PROGRESSIVE Syddan recently set up their first official website, and last years intermediate champions spun another sort of web at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday last in this one-sided SFC tie which left opponents Simonstown in quite a tangle.

The North Meath men needed to win to be sure of a knockout place and Shane McEntee’s ‘cyber kids’ left no doubt that they mean business in their first year back in the senior ranks as they swept aside the challenge of the Town team with a devastating display.

The winners registered 3-7 in the opening 20 minutes and the game was as good as over at that stage. Simonstown had already made it to the knockout stages and fielded without several regulars but they could never have anticipated that they were going to receive such a hiding.

It was the Navan side biggest ever defeat in the senior ranks and to make matters worse they lost the toss to decide who would be winners of this group after both side finished on four points. Simonstown will now face Keegan Cup holders Skryne in one quarter final with Syddan pitted against Dunshaughlin in another.

The losers didn’t open their account until the 23rd minute and by half-time Syddan were ahead 3-8 to 0-2.

Noel McGillic (three), Derek Sheehy, Philip Duff and Brian Dillon all pointed for the winners in the opening ten minutes and their opening goal came before the end of the quarter when Alan Meade spilled a Brian Dillon free kick over his own line. Corner forward Trevor Gilsenan added another goal after taking a pass from fullforward Shay Duff and the number 14 was again the provider in the 20th minute for his brother Philip to shoot to the Simonstown net.

The Simonstown response was weak to put it mildly and their overall effort might have had them before the stewards to explain their ‘form’ had it been a different sport. Paul O’Brien had their opening point from a free and they eventually scored from play in the 28th minute from Brendan Martin.

There was to be no respite after the break as the winners restarted with a Brian Dillon point. It was 3-11 to 0-5 at the three quarter way stage and the winners then registered two further goals in a four minute spell to go 5-11 to 0-6 clear with a little over ten minutes remaining. Shay Duff notched the first of those goals and Brian Dillon added the second but at that stage it was embarrassingly easy to penetrate the Simonstown defence.

Simonstown registered three points in the closing ten minutes but they looked more like relegation candidates than title pretenders long before the end.

This win will give Syddan a tremendous boost going into the knockout stages but they will know that they will never get it as easy again.

Scorers: Syddan: Brian Dillon (2-4), Philip Duff (1-2), Trevor Gilsenan (1-1), Shay Duff (1-0), Noel McGillic (0-3), Thomas Dillon, Derek Sheehy (0-1 each).

Simonstown: Eric O’Reilly (0-3), Paul O’Brien (0-2), Paul Meade, Hugh John O’Reilly, Brendan Martin, Michael Byrne (0-1 each).

Syddan: J. Sheehy, F. McKenna, M. Cassidy, R. Clare, I. Curran, S. Dillon, S. Malone, J. Dillon, T. Dillon, P. Duff, N. McGillic, B. Dillon, D. Sheehy, S. Duff, T. Gilsenan.

Subs: G. Carolan for D. Sheehy, A. Kane for Cassidy.

Simonstown: D. Brady, M. Gorman, R. McGrath, A. Meade, S. Kenny, P. Reilly, H. Traynor, N. Kearney, P. Meade, S. Kennedy, P. O’Brien, H. J. O’Reilly, B. Martin, M. Byrne, E. O’Reilly.

Subs: K. Cantwell for McGrath, J. Murray for Kenny.

Referee: Jimmy Henry.