Friday 19 July 2019

Mals fall short despite McAllister ton

Leinster Premier League

Paul Byrne

Malahide began their Premier League campaign with a loss during a rain-interrupted match against YMCA on Sunday.

Malahide won the toss and posted a target of 231 after 50 overs but after a spell of sustained rain that target was reduced to 196 as YMCA were given 40 overs to reach that score under the Duckworth Lewis method.

Malahide won the toss and decided to bat first, with Anish Desai and Arjun Muntha opening for the home side.

The Fingal side negotiated their way through the opening four overs with little fuss, but they had a setback soon afterwards as Muntha was caught by Robert Gamble.

Damien Mortimer was next in for the home side and he helped steady the ship as Malahide reached 45 without any further loss.

YMCA made a major breakthrough during the eleventh over when they took the wickets of both Desai and Mortimer in successive balls. Desai was the first to go when he was clean bowled by Fionn Hand when on 28. His replacement Greg Ford went for a duck off the very next ball as Hand struck once again much to the delight of the visiting side.

Mortimer and Matthew Ford got Malahide back on track with a fourth-wicket stand of 40, helping their side improve to 78. However, Mortimer was caught lbw by Rory Anders shortly afterwards as Malahide fell to 78/4 after nineteen overs.

Ford was next out having contributed a useful 35 which brought Malahide up to 100 after 20 overs. Ford was clean bowled by Mitchell Thompson to leave the match delicately poised.

Malahide needed a big effort from one of their middle order and it came in the shape of Fintan McAllister who hit an outstanding 100. McAllister's century came from 112 balls and included eleven fours and three sixes. McAllister stayed right until the end as he watched his playing partners Callum Riches, James Newland and Kelvin Donnelly go by the wayside late on.

That century from McAllister helped Malahide post a score of 231/7 after 50 overs which looked a like a decent total given their slow start.

The rain arrived shortly afterwards and by the time it had stopped YMCA's chase had been reduced to 196 and they were given 40 overs to chase it as the Duckworth Lewis method came into play.

YMCA's chase got off to a dreadful start as Peter Saville claimed the wicket of John Cassidy off just the second ball of the innings.

A useful second wicket partnership of 64 from Mitchell Thompson and Rory Anders helped YMCA recover to 79/1, but they hit a roadblock shortly afterwards when Matthew Ford claimed the wicket of Thompson.

Two wickets in quick succession from Damien Mortimer saw the momentum swing back towards Malahide, but a 56 seventhwicket stand between DeKlerk and Gamble put YMCA on the brink of victory.

James Parkinson proved the match-winner for YMCA as he hit a superb 36 not out to lead YMCA to victory with an over to spare.

Malahide: Anish Desai, Arjun Muntha, Damien Mortimer, Gregory Ford, Matthew Ford, Fintan McAllister, Callum Riches, James Newland, Kelvin Donnelly, Neil Boyne, Peter Saville.

Fingal Independent