Saturday 20 October 2018

Donaghmore/ Ashbourne edged out by Stamullen


ST. PATRICKS .................................. 0-12 DONAGHMORE/ASHBOURNE ........ 1-7 LAST years beaten finalists St. Patricks recovered from the recent drubbing at the hands of neighbours St. Colmcilles but they had to sweat it out before overcoming Donaghmore/Ashbourne in this IFC clash at Seneschalstown on Saturday evening last.

The winners produced some lovely flowing football in the opening half and were ahead 0-9 to 0-1 at the break but they struggled throughout the second period and were fortunate enough to be still ahead at the finish.

Points from Peter Sullivan (three) and Daithi Whyte gave the Stamullen men the best possible start and the game was 16 minutes old before Timmy O’Regan, from a free, registered Donaghmore/ Ashbourne’s only score of the opening half.

Centre forward Sullivan was in excellent form for the winners in that opening period, accounting for five of his sides tally of points. He got good support in attack from Whyte and Barry Campbell.

St. Patrick’s increased their lead on the restart with a further point from Whyte but Charlie Redmond’s side tightened up considerably in defence throughout that second period. Sullivan wasn’t nearly as effective as half-time substitute Brendan Murphy kept a tight rein at centre back alongside Sean Harmon.

The losers also upped the tempo at midfield with James Heavey and Murt O’Sullivan coming much more into the match. Points from Fergus Harmon, O’ Sullivan and Sean Harmon got them back in contention before Cormac Murphy replied for St. Patricks.

When fullback Mick Beggy netted from the penalty spot in the 41st minute, following a foul on Rory Maguire it left just four points between the sides, St. Patrick’s ahead 0-11 to 1-4. They then added two further points from Murt O’Sullivan and Rory Maguire but the dismissal of cornerback Noel Woods by referee Seamus McCormack proved a setback.

The winners switched Cormac Murphy to defence, and he helped settle his side in the last quarter. Ray Russell and Ronan Kearns were also impressive as St. Patrick’s held on to what they had. Martin Byrne had their only score of that last quarter and they then had substitute Niall Flynn sent off.

Timmy O’Regan had a late point for a Donaghmore/Ashbourne outfit who left themselves with too much lee way to make up in the second half.

St. Patrick’s: D. Mooney, N. Collier, N. Russell, M. Calvey, R. Russell, R. Kearns, C. Russell, J. Hughes , C. Sullivan, C. Murphy (0-1), P. Sullivan (0-5), M. Byrne (0-2), I. Curran, B. Campbell (0-2), D. Whyte (0-2).

Subs: N. Flynn for Curran, M. Kirk for Calvey, N. Lennon for Hughes.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne: A. Berminghan, N. Woods, M. Beggy (1-0), D. Gaughan, S. Harmon (0-1), M. Lynch, D. Garry, M. O’Sullivan (0-2), J. Heavey, J. Lynch, P.J. Moran, R. Tormey, I. Dowd, T. O’Regan (0-2), R. Maguire (0-1).

Subs: B. Murphy for Garry, F. Harmon (0-1) for Moran, Garry for Tormey.




THE incisive finishing of centre half forward Damien Beakey was just one of the highlights as St. Colmcilles progressed from ‘dark horses’ to serious title contenders following this demolition of Rathkenny in the IFC at Donore on Saturday evening last.

Beakey strolled through the Rathkenny defence on two occasions in the opening half and finished to the net in style as his side romped to another impressive victory.

Both goals came at crucial times, the opening one in the 16th minute, when the ball was knocked into his path by Niall Ronan eased the ‘Cilles into a 1-4 to 0-4 lead and when he struck again in the 23rd minute it left the winners ahead 2-5 to 0-4.

This was another stylish performance from the Seasiders who now have full points from their three championship outings. They started slowly and found themselves 0-1 to 0-4 in arrears after eight minutes but they soon took control and dominated the second quarter during which they registered 2-2 to lead 2-6 to 0-4 at the break.

The winners were far fitter, hungrier and more determined than their opponents who struggled for long periods to make an impression especially in attack. Despite the best efforts of Donal Curtis and Derek Smith at midfield, the Cilles had an abundance of possession and they made good use of it into their forwards where Niall Ronan, Beakey and John McKenna starred.

Fullforward Ronan was a constant threat to the Rathkenny defence and he accounted for seven points of his sides tally, three of which came from frees.

The ‘Cilles were solid in most departments, keeper Brian Morris denied Rathkenny a 43rd minute goal by diving to his left to keep out Robbie Califf’s penalty effort. Elsewhere in defence Neil Cooney and Ian Mullen gave little away in the central positions while Brian Kelly and Shane Black also impressed.

Both Enda Grogan and Eoin Sarsfield worked tirelessly at midfield while in attack the highball into Niall Ronan worked a treat and the likes of Beakey and Mckenna were always alert to pick up the scraps.

The losers started in positive fashion with Edmund Curtis and David Heery firing over early points. Niall Ronan converted a 5th minute free for the winners but it was Rathkenny who continued to set the pace with two further points, from Donal Curtis, one of which came from a free.

Rathkenny failed to register again though for the remainder of the half as St. Colmcilles took control with Beakey and Ronan adding the finishing power.

The opening ten minutes of the second half saw the winners add four further points with Rathkenny’s only reply coming from a Califf free. Morris’s penalty save finished any hopes Rathkenny had of a revival but the losers did get some respite through the efforts of their best player, Edmund Curtis who registered three points from play between the 44th and 47th minutes.

That ended the Rathkenny tally though as further points from Ronan, Damien O’ Brien and John McKenna eased St. Colmcilles to an impressive victory.

Scorers: St. Colmcilles: D. Beakey (2-1), N. Ronan (0-7), J. McKenna (0-3), E. Sarsfield, D. O’Brien (0-1 each).

Rathkenny: E. Curtis (0-4), Donal Curtis (0-2), D. Heery, R. Califf (0-1 each).

St. Colmcilles: B. Morris, S. Black, N. Cooney, P. Collier, N. Dunne, I. Mullen, B. Kelly, E. Grogan, E. Sarsfield, C. Hall, D. Beakey, E. O’Boyle, D. O’Brien, N. Ronan, J. McKenna.

Subs: N. Kerbey for Hall, T. Kiernan for O’Brien, B. Mullen for Collier.

Rathkenny: J. Martin, N. Curtis, J. Curtis, J. McKeever, T. McKeever, Dermot Curtis, M. Reid, D. Smith, Donal Curtis, B. Rowe, T. Rowan, E. Curtis, E. Martin, D. Heery, R. Califf.

Subs: P. Downey for B. Rowe, R. Curtis for Heery, M. Doggett for E. Martin.

Referee: P. Clarke (Seneschalstown)

SLANE ... 2-10

NA FIANNA ... 2-8

UNPREDICTABLE Slane put themselves firmly back in the frame for the knockout stages of the IFC at the impressive surroundings of Dunsany on Sunday last but they made heavy work of defeating previously unbeaten Na Fianna.

The winners led by seven points at one stage in the opening half but they lacked the killer instinct and were hanging to a slender lead by the time the referee blew the final whistle.

However it was a game Slane never looked like losing. They played well, particularly in the opening half when they were boosted by a fortuitous goal, but their overall effort in the second period fell far short of what would be required for outright honours.

Both defences were in somewhat generous mood in the opening half. Slane’s opening goal in the seventh minute was a well taken one from Declan Kearns who blasted high to the roof of the net after being put through by Wayne Harding. Their second one though, which put them 2-4 to 1-1 ahead, was of the soft variety as Kearns free kick from 45 metres was allowed go all the way to the Na Fianna net.

At the other end the Slane defence were caught napping in the 16th minute as a Paul Hanley effort rebounded off the crossbar and Brian O’Connell reacted quickest to finish to the net. The losers second goal might also have been prevented but midfielder Damien Griffin was allowed go through soccer style for a simple effort.

Slane dominated midfield for long periods in the opening half where Gerry Martyn and Keith Harding were impressive. Both Barry Moore and Stephen Carolan were solid in the central positions of defence while in attack Eamonn Gibney, Kearns and Wayne Harding combined well.

The winners had the opening four scores of the game as Alan Reilly and Kearns had points before Kearns found the net and Gibney added a further point. Fullforward Paul Hanley had Na Fianna’s opening point and goals at either end in a two minute spell livened up the game considerably.

Points from Bernard Hyland and Hanley, and their second goal, from Griffin, left Na Fianna just two points in arrears by the 24th minute before a late Slane surge had points from Kearns and Shane Coyle to leave the Village side ahead 2-7 to 2-3 at the break.

The Baconstown/Enfield/Rathmoylon outfit had the edge on proceedings in the second half but lacked the scoring power to cause serious bother to the Slane men. Points from Hanley (2 frees) and Damien Griffin reduced the deficit to a single point by the 38th minute but Slane always seemed to be able to respond without ever exerting themselves to much.

Kearns from a free and Gibney from play eased them back into a three point lead at the three quarter way stage. The introduction of the lively Colm Wogan also gave Slane a lift at a time when they were beginning to tire.

Na Fianna relied too heavily on Hanley for scores, he accounted for four of their second half points.

A Gibney pointed from four minutes from the end proved crucial for Slane, it left them three ahead and while Hanley responded with a point, the same player was forced to go for a goal from a close range free in the dying moments. His effort was well blocked on the line by Stephen Gough in what was the last action of an entertaining game.

Scorers: Slane: D. Kearns (2-3), E. Gibney (0-5), S. Coyle, A. Reilly (0-1 each).

Na Fianna: P. Hanley (0-6), D. Griffin (1-1), B. O’Connell (1-0), B. Hyland (0-1).

Slane: C. Reilly, S. Gough, B. Moore, W. Clarke, P. Martyn, S. Carolan, J. Cullen, G. Martyn, K. Harding, A. Reilly, W. Harding, S. Coyle, D. Kearns, E. Gibney, A. McMenamon.

Sub: C. Wogan for McMenamon.

Na Fianna: N. Slattery, F. Foran, G. Greville, F. Fagan, T. Cosgrove, M. Hanley, A. Clinton, J. Hendricks, D. Griffin, B. Hyland, M. Flynn, E. O’Neill, B. O’Connell, P. Hanley, C. Loughlin.

Subs: S. Barrett for O’Neill, F. Clinton for Slattery, M. Hendricks for O’Connell.

Referee: D. Coldrick (Blackhall Gaels).

DRUMCONRATH ......... 1-16

MOYNALTY .................... 0-5

Drumconrath made a slow start to their IFC campaign with a single point from their opening two matches, but their challenge is now gaining momentum following their second successive win, with this easy victory over Moynalty at Castletown on Saturday evening last.

Moynalty were very poor and it made life easy for the winners who led 0-7 to 0-1 at the break.

Centre half forward Shane Byrne was unerring throughout from placed balls and eight of his nine points came from frees.

He was on target on four occasions in the opening half (three frees), while Thomas Dardis, Ollie McMahon and John Carey accounted for the winners other points of the half. The losers lone point came from a free in the 10th minute.

Byrne, with two further points increased the winners lead on the restart and by the three quarter way stage Drumconrath led 0-11 to 0-3.

Their goal came in the 51st minute from Wayne Sherlock and it proved all too easy for Drumconrath in the closing stages.

Thomas Dardis, Paul Tighe, Paddy Reilly, Cathal Byrne, Kevin Flanagan, Shane Byrne, and Sherlock were best

Drumconrath: K. Carry, C. Byrne, J. McDermott, B. Flanagan, D. Flanagan, Pete McMahon, K. Flanagan, W. Sherlock (1-0), P. Reilly, T. Dardis (0-2), S. Byrne (0-9), Paul Tighe, A. Byrne, O. McMahon (0-1), J. Carey (0-3).

Subs: Peter Tighe for Pete McMahon, Padraig McMahon (0-1) for D. Flanagan, S. Reilly for O. McMahon.

DUNSANY ... 1-17


Despite the best efforts of Shane Black, Paul Brannigan, James Devereaux and John Collins Bellewstown were never a match for a strong Dunsany outfit in this JFC match at Walterstown on Saturday evening last.

The ‘Hill were short a number of regulars in vital positions and were struggling from the early stages.

All of their scores came in the second half of a match they will want to forget in a hurry.

Bellewstown: A. McKeon, R. Howard, M. McEnteggart, D. Teeling, D. Rogers, C. Black, John Collier (0-2), Jason Collier, S. Black, J. Devereaux, A. Smith, P. Collins (0-1), Pat Joyce, Peter Joyce, P. Brannigan.

Sub: J. Joyce for Pat Joyce.

Junior B


ST. PATRICK’S ... 0-15

TWO Kilmainham goals in a three minute spell shortly after half-time dealt a serious blow to St. Patrick’s junior B FC hopes at Seneschalstown on Saturday evening last.

The East Meath outfit were well in contention at the break, just a point in arrears, 0-8 to 1-6, and they were level on the restart through J.P. Ryan who registered his fourth point of the match.

St. Patrick’s came back strongly from that double blow but despite the best efforts of Ryan, Niall Sheridan, Niall Whearty, John Muldowney and David Collier they were unable to make up the deficit.

St. Patrick’s: P. Muldowney, J. Muldowney, S. Harris, C. Folan, E. Porter, N. Harris, D. Collier, D. Ryan, C. Calvey, N. Whearty (0-4), N. Sheridan, JP Ryan (0-7), A. Loughlin (0-1), N. Dunne (0-3), K. Gow.

Subs: F. Courtney for Loughlin, C. Nally for Courtney, N. Flynn for Gow.

Junior C

ST. PATRICK’S ... 3-4


A Niall Black goal nine minutes from the finish kept St. Patrick’s unbeaten run intact in the Junior C FC at Curraha on Friday evening last.

The winners led 1-2 to 0-4 at the break, with their opening goal coming from Shane Kirwin.

There was never much between the sides and the winners second goal came from Martin Collins.

Davy O’Rourke, Alan Wade, Alan Smith and Ian Sheridan were best.

St. Patrick’s: A. Smith, I. Sheridan, D. Callaghan, S. Brennan, C. Smith, P. Hughes, A. Stafford, N. Black (1-1), D. O’Rourke (0-1), A. Wade, C. Martin (0-1), S. Kirwin (1-1), M. Collins (1-0), M. Delaney, T. Russell.

Subs: G. Murphy for Russell, Murphy for Russell.