Sunday 20 May 2018

Sylvester's remain in top-four hunt

ST SYLVESTER'S remain in the hunt for a top four place following a strong first-half display against Raheny at Broomfield last Wednesday.


Raheny were certainly in good spirits having knocked St Maurs out of the championship while also holding Kilmacud Crokes to a draw in St Annes a fortnight ago.

Nonetheless they played second fiddle to a Sylvesters team who, despite losing Gary Sweeney to injury on 18 minutes, proved extremely difficult to contain.

Having opened up a four point lead at the end of the first quarter, the half forwards then combined to set up Nigel Dunne for a well-worked score.

Sylvesters continued to punish Raheny off their kick outs with Michael McCarthy sending over back to back scores with the hard working Conor Daly then sending over the ninth score of the score.

Syls were proving equally impressive in the backs with Fionn Carney breaking down a Raheny attack which led to Nigel Dunne landing a score to move the Malahide men into double figures.

However, Raheny were back in business just before the break when former Dublin underage star, Gavan Ivory, cleverly evaded a tackle and offloaded to Ciaran Murphy who duly slotted past the keeper to leave it 0-10 to 1-1.

And while Raheny reduced the gap back to four points at one stage, Sylvesters work ethic saw them home.

Daly was again to the fore after the break and in one move, he stopped the ball from going out before setting up Dunne.

And with Mark Hazely bolstering the attack, Sylvesters (who played Kilmacud Crokes last night at the same venue) closed the game out with scores from Mark Hazley and Foy.

St Sylvesters: Robbie McDonnell, Barry Ryan, Fionn Carney, Ronan Walsh, Glen Hazley, David Galvin, Ciaran McArdle, Ross Hazley, Gavin McArdle, Mark Brennan, Nigel Dunnel, Gary Sweeney, Miceal McCarthy, Niall Couglan, Conor Daly. Subs: Alan Foy for Sweeney, Conor Ryan for Galvin, Mark Hazely for McCarthy, Dave Keogh for Ross Hazley.

Fingal Independent