Monday 20 November 2017

Sylvester's helpless in the face of free-flowing Flood

Rory Kerr

DEAN Flood turned in an exceptional shift of hurling at the Naomh Barrog grounds on Saturday as the Kilbarrack men consolidated their lead at top of Division 3.

The Fingal man, having finished second to Cormac Ryan in the Dublin Poc Fada championship recently in Howth, registered a whopping 0-14 on the night which edged the home side a step closer to earning senior league status with three games to go.

For Sylvesters it proved a disappointing week as they amassed seventeen wides in their midweek draw away to Castleknock.

Still missing notable players including Fingal captain, Andy Richardson, they were hit for two quick goals approaching half time and were always playing catch up.

Flood's contribution aside, there were some notable displays on the Barrog team and they were particularly strong in the half back line.

Niall Ring's mobility and accuracy off the pass at centre back shows why he is such an asset to the Fingal team.

Aidan Kirwan another important part of Mick Kennedy's league winning squad was another who impressed in the backs while Ritchie Timmons was commanding in the number three shirt.

Sylvesters, who beat Barrog in the championship earlier on in the season, were slow to start with Flood's pace causing them plenty of problems down the flanks.

And with plenty of ball going into the corner forwards, Barrog posted four points without reply before Stephen Keogh got on the end of a long ball to flick past the keeper on 13 minutes.

But in a game which had plenty of intensity about it, Barrog were soon back in the ascendancy and after Flood ent over two points off placed ball, Micheal McCarthy then registered a point on the turn t make it 0-7 to 1-0.

The visitors were then opened up twice in the space of a minute, with a ball into James Stewart seeing the full forward drive defiantly pass Hillary Murray Hession in the Syls' goal.

Moments later, a high ball into the square saw full forward Michael McCarthy connect to extend the gap to nine points.

It was a bit unfair on Syls as at that stage as they had started to come into the game with Paul Christie and Ronan Kennedy showing up well in the full back line.

Kevin McLoughney a member of last years All Ireland Minor C All Ireland winning Fingal team, was another to impress at wing back.

The half finished with points at each end from Flood and Cillian O'Driscoll to leave it 2-8 to 1-1 at the break.

Barrog stretched their lead shortly after the restart with a goal inside the first minute from Conor Cleary which was followed up soon after by a point from Flood, before a pass from Cillian O'Driscoll set up Diarmuid McCarthy for a goal moments later.

And while Darragh O'Flaherty had a free cleared off the line shortly afterwards, that was as close as Syls came to troubling Barrog despite a late goal off a free from Davy Keogh.

St Sylvesters: Hillary Murray Hession, Ronan Kennedy, Graham Morris, Paul Christie, Alan Casey, Enda Flaherty, Kevin McLoughney, Cillian O Flynn 0-1, Kevin O Flynn, Stephen Keogh 1-0, Diarmuid McCarthy 1-1, Mannix Ryan, Kieran Falvey, Davy Keogh 1-3 (1-2f), Martin Ormonde. Subs: Colm Byrne for Falvey, Darragh O Flaherty for Ormonde, Barry Horgan for McCarthy, Kevin Clarke for Stephen Keogh

Fingal Independent

Promoted Links

Promoted Links