Thursday 18 July 2019

Super subs seal win as Dubs set up Galway date

Walsh Cup: Dublin 1-18 Laois 1-16

Mattie Kenny made it three wins from three Walsh Cup matches in Portlaoise on Sunday afternoon as his Dublin team overcame Laois to set up a meeting with his native Galway in next weekend's semi-finals.

After just 15 minutes Dublin already appeared to be cruising to their third victory of this year's competition as they led 1-6 to 0-3 and were better in every line of the pitch.

They scored a goal after four minutes when Eamonn Dillon collected a smart, first-time bat-down from John Hetherton and finished from close quarters.

Cian Boland, who sent the ball in for that goal, quickly added two points from play, while Hetherton struck his placed balls well in those early stages.

Laois played with five forwards and Donnacha Hartnett dropped into their defence as a sweeper, and though the Mountmellick man cut out a couple of long deliveries, it left Seán Moran free to collect and play an amount of ball from the Dublin defence.

Then, for no easily detectable reasons, Dublin faded completely out of the contest.

Aaron Dunphy followed up his two long-range points with a goal after Alan Nolan prevented PJ Scully from scoring, and Eddie Brennan's side scored 1-5 without reply between the 19th and 34th minutes to move two points ahead.

It took a late brace from play from Hetherton to send Dublin in level.

The teams continued along the lines of their new-found equilibrium throughout the second half, although Chris Crummey brought new impetus to the Dublin half-back line.

A run of four points in succession - including two from substitute Feargal Whitely - took Dublin back into the lead.

Laois pressed late on for an equaliser, but Moran provided security at the back for the Metropolitans and Oisín O'Rorke sealed victory with his second point off the bench.

SCORERS: Dublin - J Hetherton 0-7 (4f), E Dillon 1-1, C Boland, J Malone, F Whitely, O O'Rorke 0-2 each, S Moran (f), C Crummey 0-1 each; Laois - PJ Scully 0-7 (4f), A Dunphy 1-3, M Kavanagh (1f), E Rowland (2f) 0-2 each, E Lyons, S Maher 0-1 each.

DUBLIN: A Nolan; D Gray, E O'Donnell, J Madden; S Barrett, S Moran, T Connolly; R McBride, J Malone; F McGibb, J Hetherton, F McGibb; E Dillon, L Rushe, D Burke. Subs: L Gannon for Barrett (16min), F Whitely for Boland (30), C Crummey for Connolly (36), O O'Rorke for Burke (43), D Keogh for O'Donnell (48), G Whelan for McBride (50), C Conway for Rushe (53), C Burke for Dillon (62).

LAOIS: E Rowland; P Delaney, M Whelan, J Phelan; J Kelly, R Mullaney, E Killeen; D Hartnett, P Purcell; A Dunphy, E Lyons, S Maher; M Kavanagh, PJ Scully, E Gaughan. Subs: S Downey for Gaughan (51min), C Phelan for Kavanagh (58), J Cranney for Killeen (69), N Foyle for Lyons (70).

REF: M Murtagh (Westmeath)

Fingal Independent