Tuesday 21 November 2017

Skerries arrest recent slide with vital league success

Harry Dawson of Skerries Harps fires towards the posts despite close attention from Kevin Ryan (St Finian’s). Photo: Fintan Clarke
Harry Dawson of Skerries Harps fires towards the posts despite close attention from Kevin Ryan (St Finian’s). Photo: Fintan Clarke

Rory Kerr

AFTER back-to-back defeats in the league and championship, Skerries picked up a much-needed win with this double-scores success against their Swords opponents up in Ridgewood on Wednesday.

One of the Finian's players coming off bemoaned the lack of youth in the side, and they were up against a Skerries outfit who have a good crop of young players that have come up from the Minor and Under-21 ranks.

The conversion of Adam Hanley to attack served up some measure of success for the home side in the second half, while Joe Greene battled through the pain barrier, having struggled with injury in the early stages of the game.

Finian's showed some good inventiveness in their play, with Liam Ryan acting as the target man up front, but against full back Eoin McGinley - who had a very good day in the number three shirt - chances for scores were few and far between.

With Skerries spreading the ball to good effect over both halves, the visitors were to pick off a series of scores from Finian's kickouts in the final quarter.

The two teams had been well matched early on, with Finian's scoring each side of a Shane Hickey score to move a point ahead.

However, Skerries' expansive game saw them gain the ascendancy, with Donnacha Reilly taking a pass off Harry Dawson, before the latter slotted over from the forty to put the visitors ahead for the first time.

Eamon McGill then linked up well with Greene to notch up his second score of the game, but at this juncture Skerries began to open up a telling lead.

There were some tetchy moments between the sides, but the referee in fairness was on top of things and after Dawson had converted with his left foot, a good drive from Jack Smith (who had made a number of probing runs from centre back in the first half) was to win his team a free which Dawson duly converted.

Then, following a score from Barry Davey, Skerries moved the ball forward at pace, with Mark Boylan and Dawson combining to set up Eoin Ellis to leave it 7-3 at the break.

Early points from Mark Boylan and Davey was to put further distance between the two teams, with the strong running of Shane Hickey very evident at this stage.

Glen Lacey attempted to keep Finian's in front with two frees, but as Finian's tired Skerries closed the game with a succession of scores from Dawson.

Fingal Independent

Promoted Links

Promoted Links