Friday 19 July 2019

Sheridan rolls back the years as Maur's advance

JHC semi-final: St Maur's 0-24 B'boden St Endas 0-13

Rory Kerr at O'Toole Park

Emmet Carroll comes from a different generation of Dublin hurlers. He served the county jersey with distinction at a time when it wasn't particularly fashionable before retiring in 2007.

He was also part of the Ballyboden senior team that won the famous five-in-a-row under Liam Hogan. His face is somewhat weathered now, but he is no wilting rose as opponents St Maur's found out on Sunday.

It may be a young man's game, but Carroll took some watching at O'Toole Park with a terrific display in attack that belied his years.

Equally, St Maur's player JM Sheridan is a man who is enjoying a new lease of life. Back with his native club, the former Fingal sharpshooter was once more the driving force for the Rush club as they overcame a two-point half-time deficit to book their place in the championship decider on Sunday week.

It was a big wind that blew down the car park end on Sunday and Maur's took full advantage in the second half. From the 37th minute, when Sheridan landed a free, they were never headed.

It was never going to be easy, but Dermot Crowe's side hurled with great composure. There was a great economy in their play, particularly in the chances converted.

A sublime score from Dublin senior Eoghan Conroy from far out on the right was a measure of their accuracy and once Maur's had got the run on their opponents their was no turning back.

But for a respectable period of this game they were tested by their opponents. Des O'Sullivan at full back was in their faces a lot of the time, while Carroll was a central figure for them in the first half.

He motored around the forty with great effect and after all these years one of the capital's most decorated forwards at club level has not lot his appetite for the game.

It was a tight contest early on, with a roving run down the left by JM Sheridan setting the tone for the context. A cleared chance off the line by Olan Kelliher mirrored Maur's early intent, with the full forward then blasting over the bar soon after.

As stated earlier, the gale-force conditions meant that Maur's had to be patient as 'Boden began to pull away near the end of the half, with James Doody hitting two late points to hand his team a 0-10 to 0-8 lead at the break.

With that wind, though, Maur's began to turn the tide, with Craig Harford a big presence at corner forward, and having taken lead seven minutes into the second half it all clicked for Maur's, with their subs making a big impact.

Sheridan led the way for them of course, and his terrific point on the run which would double the Maur's advantage was crucial too.

Paullie McAllister, another to have soldiered with distinction in the Fingal colours, was doing his bit in defence as Maur's ground their opponents into submission.

Conroy's majestic score brought the lead out to six points with ten minutes to go and by the then the writing was on the wall for Ballyboden, with Maur's closing out a fantastic display with scores from Finbarr Harford, Kelleher and Craig Harford.

St Maur's: Jack Higgins, Darragh Conroy, Cathal Niall, Fiachra Mackey, Joe Gleeson, Paddy Sheridan 0-1(1f), Paullie McAllister, Kevin O Connor 0-1, Seamus Harford 0-1, Eoghan Conroy 0-2, JM Sheridan 0-12 (0-9f) Glen Weldon, Craig Harford 0-3, Olan Kelleher 0-3, Ciaran Egan. Subs: Finbar Harford 0-1 for Egan, Dylan Halpin for Mackey, Adam Kennedy for O'Connor, Collie Halpin for Weldon, Billy McGuinness for Eoghan Conroy.

Fingal Independent