Wednesday 21 March 2018

'Maur' joy for Rush school

Ratoath's James McCann and is put under pressure by Joseph Whyte and Liam Doran.
Ratoath's James McCann and is put under pressure by Joseph Whyte and Liam Doran.

Rory Kerr at Parnell Pk

RUSH's remarkable run in schools competitions continued at Parnell Park last Wednesday when they captured their third trophy in two years.

Under St Maur's defender Ronan McGinty, Rush captured both the Cumann Na Mbunscoil titles last season, but this latest win was arguably equally as good.

Having conceded two early goals, Rush had a big job on their hands, but guided by mentors Richard Sheridan and Padraic O'Hara, they pulled off a terrific comeback before a sizeable Maur's support.

Maur's defended admirably in the closing stages as Ratoath piled on the pressure, and with Andy Doran pulling off some crucial interventions at full back, the Fingal boys held firm.

Ratoath had got off to a good start, and after raising the white flag then found the back of the net on five minutes. Cian Murphy, having taken a crossfield pass off James McCann, cut in from the left before driving low past the keeper at the far post.

Maur's response was good, however, with Harry Groome switching on to his left foot before splitting the posts.

An inch perfect pass from Liam Doran then set up Jise Bankole for Maur's second point, but Ratoath then opened Rush up for a second time when Killian Cahill burst the back of the Maur's net with a superb finish.

An angled point from Ben Fullam was to keep Maur's in touching distance, with Fionn Murphy and Groome then trading points.

Then began Rush's remarkable comeback, with their captain Stephen Bogan pointing to put just three between the sides. Off the subsequent kickout Groome beat the keeper with a fantastic finish. The Ratoath keeper was then beaten for a second time a few moments later despite having blocked an initial effort from Bogan. Fulham was on hand to turn home the rebound, with Liam Doran then taking a return pass of off Bankoso to fire home Rush's fourth.

Ratoath finished the half with a point to trail by 4-5 to 2-3 at the break, with the two sides then trading a free at each end.

Maur's keeper Sean Keegan was then called into action for the first time when he was on hand to deny Ratoath captain Luke Newe, after the centre back had made a terrific break through the middle.

And it was to prove a crucial intervention, with Rush then breaking upfield to claim their fifth goal through Fulham who showed good composure to beat the advancing Ratoath keeper. Ratoath, to their credit, showed their character to register 1-4 without reply in the closing stages, but while Evan Weir would land a penalty for Ratoath the Rush net was not breached again, with Keegan pulling off two fine saves.

Rush N.S: Sean Keegan, Fionn Jones, Andy Doran, Evan Doyle, Cian Rock, Owen Harford, Aaron McCann, Liam Doran 1-0, Harry Groome 1-2, Jason Collins, Stephen Bogan 1-2, Joseph Whyte, Ben Fullam 2-1, Jise Bankole 0-1, Daniel Thorne, Lee O'Sullivan, Cameron Coffey, Sean O'Neill, Aaron O'Reilly, Dylan Hanratty Russell, Michael Jones, Luke Fichtner.

Fingal Independent