Monday 17 June 2019

Kingdom come next for resolute Jackies

Dublin 3-11 Mayo 1-8

Rory Kerr

In a repeat of last year's semi-final, Dublin will meet Kerry in the last eight of the TG4 Ladies All-Ireland Championship after securing a nine-point win over Mayo at Dr Hyde Park on Saturday afternoon.

Crucially, the Westerners would fail to score for the last 20 minutes, although it ultimately took a somewhat fortuitous score from Nicole Owens to kill off the game when her long-range effort crept inside the keeper's upright with 12 minutes to go.

It was the break Dublin certainly needed, with Mayo defending doggedly, but the losing of two players to sin bin offences - which included Sara Rowe - would see their challenge fall away eventually.

TG4 player of the match Lyndsey Davey believed Dublin's maturity saw them through on the day.

'Mayo really put it up to us. Conditions were a bit difficult for both sides and there were a lot of balls going astray, but I think it was a serious battle,' she said.

'We pushed on in the second half. They pushed us close, but thankfully we showed our composure and pushed it on.'

In the third meeting between the two since Dublin's Brendan Martin Cup win last September, scoring chances for Dublin in the first half were limited by a Mayo side intent on putting large numbers behind the ball.

Nonetheless, Dublin, having converted a number of close-in from Sinead Aherne early on, were to open up a two-point lead - 0-5 to 0-3 - mid-way through the half when Owens broke the cover to slot over.

And while Mayo full forward Sarah Rowe would halve Dublin's lead soon after, Dublin then struck for the first goal of the game when Mayo defender Clodagh McMahon, under pressure from Niamh McEvoy, put the ball into her own net on 23 minutes after Aherne's shot had been initally blocked by the keeper.

That left it 1-5 to 0-4 at the break, and while Mayo would begin the second half with two points on the bounce from Rowe and Grace Kelly, Dublin would then strike for their second goal when Noelle Healy chipped over the keeper three minutes into the second half.

Mayo continued to stay in touch and following a Kelly free they were then right back in the game on 36 minutes when Fiona Doherty palmed into the net after Ciara Trant had failed to deal with a high ball played in from the right.

Kelly then sent over her second free in as many minutes to tie the game at 2-5 to 1-8, but Dublin would dominate the final 20 minutes and after scores from Sinead Goldrick and Davey, they then struck for their third through Owens on 45 minutes to kill off Mayo's brave challenge.

Dublin: C Trant; M Byrne, L Caffrey, D Murphy; S Goldrick 0-1. N Collins, O Carey; S McGrath, L Magee; L Davey 0-2, N McEvoy, C Rowe; N Owens 1-1, N Healy 1-2, S Aherne 0-5, (0-3f). Subs: J Dunne for Magee (half-time), O Whyte for McEvoy (45), H O'Neill for Rowe (47), L Collins for McGrath (56), A Kane for Owens (60).

Mayo: S Murphy; E Lowther, R O'Malley, D Caldwell; R Kearns, C McManamon, K Sullivan; N Moran, T O'Connor; S Mulvihill, F Doherty 1-0, S Cafferkey; N Kelly 0-1, S Rowe 0-4, (0-1f, G Kelly 0-3, (0-2f). Subs: R Flynn for Moran (39), E Needham for O'Connor (48), S Ludden for Mulvihill (51), F McManamon for Doherty (54), L Ryder for Caldwell (58).

Referee: M Farrelly (Cavan)

Fingal Independent