Monday 20 November 2017

Kildare kill off double header hopes

KILDARE dashed Dublin's hopes of a minor/senior double header at next weekend's Leinster final after coming through Saturday's provincial semi-final at Parnell Park with plenty to spare.

The impressive Lilywhites held the upper hand throughout with Dublin's inside forwards doing well off very limited possession.

Dublin's cause was not helped by first-half injuries to Martin Cahalan and Aaron Byrne while they also finished with 14 men after the straight red card shown to centre-forward Cillian Sheanon 15 minutes from time.

Kildare settled quickly into the game showing a lot of early drive from the middle of the park and lead 0-4 to 0-1 inside the opening 11 minutes.

However, Dublin responded when O Seanain did well to round his marker before finding the net from a tight angle.

But Kildare responded well with the next score coming four minutes later for them when Cian McMonagle goaled and by the break they held a 1-8 to 1-3 advantage.

Dublin's chances were slim but the likes of Colm Basquel and particularly Con O'Callaghan did show well for the home side.

Eleven minutes into the second half Dublin's fate was sealed when Neil Flynn converted a penalty to push the Lilies 2-10 to 1-4 clear.

Two minutes after the sending off McMonagle fired to the net and added a point from play as Kildare surged 3-12 to 1-4 in front.

In fairness to Dublin they battled to the finish with Basquel grabbing a goal in the 54th minute. Dublin that have a few other late chances with Conor Mullins having one close range effort parried over from close range by the alert reflexes of Kildare keeper Seán Dempsey.

KILDARE: S Dempsey; C McConnell, N Fleming, D Hartley; J Flynn 0-2 (0-1f, 0-1 '45), P Mescal, R Houlihan; P Connell, L Flynn; N Flynn 1-5 (1-0 pen, 0-2f), M Sherry, T Cribbin; W Fitzpatrick 0-4 (0-3f), C McMonagle 2-1, C Healy 0-1. Subs: J Connolly for Fleming (9), B McCormack for Cribbin (42), C Davin for Sherry (54), M Kelly for McMonagle (58), A McConville for N Flynn (62).

DUBLIN: L Molloy; M Cahalan, J Mullins, E Murchan; A Byrne, T Hanafin, C Kavanagh; S Molony, A Foley; G Gallagher, C Sheanon 1-0, C Mullins 0-1; D McGrath 0-2f, C Basquel 1-1, C O'Callaghan 0-1. Subs: S Clayton for Cahalan (9), J Madden for Byrne (19), M Deegan 0-1f for D McGrath (45), S McGrath for Gallagher (47), C Smith for Foley (58).

REFeree: G Whelan (Wicklow).

Fingal Independent

Promoted Links

Promoted Links