Fingal Independent

| 11.8°C Dublin

Codd's a Tower of strength for Lusk

Junior 'E' HC: Rd Towers Lusk 1-17 St Sylvester's 1-4


Round Towers’ Adam McNally wins possession against St Sylvester’s Derek De Ròiste. Pic: Fintan Clarke

Round Towers’ Adam McNally wins possession against St Sylvester’s Derek De Ròiste. Pic: Fintan Clarke

Round Towers’ Adam McNally wins possession against St Sylvester’s Derek De Ròiste. Pic: Fintan Clarke

It was almost 45 minutes before Luke Codd got his name on the scoresheet on Thursday night, but unquestionably his contribution was immense as the 2018 Dublin minor helped his Round Towers Lusk side to a comprehensive win over St Sylvester's.

Na Fianna's draw with Erin Go Bragh means that Lusk now top group two following back-to-back wins and David Power's men are certainly all charged up at the moment.

On the back of their fantastic win over Raheny in last year's Junior F final replay in Lawless Park, Round Towers are on the crest of the wave at the moment and hurling must be thriving when you consider they are fielding a second team in the Junior G Championship.

Sylvester's, for their part, gave a good account of themselves and Kenny Griffen's duel with Codd was an intriguing one.

Codd,  after an impressive debut for the footballers against Thomas Davis the previous week, played a more expansive role in the second half and opened up the play for Lusk with some terrific long passing as the home side came into their element.

And  the talented duel player got his just rewards just seconds from the end when, having out-jumped his marker on the edge of the square, beat the keeper with a cool finish. 

Sylvester's laboured well, but without Colm O'Connor, who had been influential in the first half, they struggled a small bit after the target man.

The Round Towers defence conceded few scoring opportunities, but former Dublin intermediate hurler O'Connor was certainly  a handful in the first half as Sylvester's pumped some good diagonal ball into the forward.

Nonetheless, it was Lusk who got off to the brighter start, with Padraig McGuinness sending over two excellent scores from the left half forward position.

Sylvester's were soon back in the game courtesy of  a free from O'Connor, before a foul on Declan Markey on the edge of the square presented O'Connor with a simple chance which he duly converted.

Then Adam McNally broke through the Sylvester's cover to restore the Lusk lead with a nice point from the right, with Martin Slattery then doubling their advantage.

On the quarter hour Sylvester's went ahead for the first and only time in the game when a low ball into O'Connor saw him turn his marker before firing past the keeper, but after the first water break Lusk regained control, with  Chris Neville pointing off a turnover, and following good pressure by the Lusk forwards the home side added two more frees from Jonathan Niall to lead 1-2 to 0-8 at half-time.

Lusk  picked up where they left off after the break, with Neville registering the first score of the second half before Darragh Kiernan and Niall each pointed off placed ball to move the gap out to five.

At this stage Lusk had hit top gear, with McGuinness, Niall and Liam Bohan sending over some excellent scorers to leave it at 1-13 to 1-3 heading into the final quarter.

Sylvester's. to their credit. battled well in the final quarter. with the energetic David Deneher  and Michael O'Dwyer both making the scoreboard. Nonetheless there was no stopping the eventual winners, with both Finbar Brosnan and Conor Brosnan impressing on their introduction as Round Towers chalked up their second win off the campaign.

Round Towers Lusk: Pat Codd, Conor Behan, David Kenny, Aaron Hogan, Dean Grimes, Darragh Kiernan 0-1(0-1f), Shane Murphy, Adam McNally 0-1, Liam Bohan 0-2, Padraig McGuinness 0-3, Luke Codd 1-1, Chris Neville 0-2, Jonathan Niall 0-6(0-5f), Paul Kelly, Martin Slattery 0-1. Subs: Finbar Brosnan, Conor Murphy.

St Sylvester's: Killian Kirrane,  Killian Haverty, Ciaran Murray, Cian McCann, Colm De Barra, Kenny Griffen, Sean Curran, Michael O'Dwyer 0-1,  Derek De Roiste, Ronan Furlong, David Denneher 0-`1, Mikey Power, Colm O'Connor 1-2(0-2f). Sub: Jack Larkin.

Fingal Independent