Balbriggan residents urged to be on alert for bogus callers
Residents of Balbriggan and surrounding areas have been warned to be alert to bogus callers.
One resident who contacted the Fingal Independent said he was aware of a number of instances in the area.
The Garda National Crime Prevention Office has a number of tips for householders for dealing with suspected bogus callers.
• Tell the caller that you never employ trades people 'cold calling' to your door. Ask for a sales brochure or other documentation that you can subsequently investigate and verify as credible.
This should have a contact telephone number, known address and a V.A.T. registered subsequently investigate and verify as credible. This should have a contact telephone number, known address and a V.A.T. registered number.
• Be particularly careful where sales documentation only displays mobile contact numbers or incomplete addresses.
Telephone directory enquiries can assist in establishing the credibility and bona fides of the company or individual concerned.
• If you are satisfied that the company or individual is credible and you still think their employment is necessary, ask for an itemised written quotation for the services being offered and the names of persons and locations where they have previously worked successfully.
• Never engage a person who insists on cash payment for services offered. #
Even when employing a reputable company always use a method of payment that is traceable.
• Never leave strangers, even bona fide workers, unsupervised in your home.
For those people who may have elderly or vulnerable neighbours or friends, be a good neighbour and advise them of these possible scams.
If you suspect that bogus callers or trades people are in your area and appear suspicious or are working in a vulnerable neighbour's home - never hesitate in contacting the Gardaí Balbriggan gardai can be contacted at 01 802 0510.