Tuesday 21 May 2019

Airside fight puts teenager in coma

A teenager was put in an induced coma after a fight at Airside in Swords that is understood to have been arranged in advance on social media.

A 17-year-old from Donabate is in an induced coma at Beaumont Hospital following the shocking incident that happened in the small hours of Sunday morning, September 2 around 1.30am.

Gardaí in Swords answered a call to respond to a fight between several young males in Airside.

When gardaí arrived at the scene they found one male teenager lying on the ground and bleeding from the mouth.

An ambulance was called and the young man, who is understood to be from Donabate, was taken to Beaumont Hospital where he was later put into an induced coma. He was still in that induced coma at the time of writing.

Gardaí believe that the fight that led to the young man's injuries was between two males.

It is being treated as 'one punch' incident at the moment, with the injuries suspected of resulting not from the punch but from the subsequent fall. The young man is believed to have fallen on his head.

Gardai are said to be making good progress in investigating the incident and have interviewed a large number of witnesses, mostly teenagers.

It is understood that there are a number of inconsistincies in the eye-witnes accounts collected so far but garda are confident of solving the case.

It is an incident that reflects a growing trend of teenagers pre-arranging fights on social media and it is a phenomenon we have witnessed before in Fingal.

We have seen, particulary in recent summers, large gangs of youth arranging mass fights on train routes like Donabate and Portmarnock and garda are concerned at the growing trend towards this kind of violent incident.

Garda in Swords are continuing the investigation into the Airside incident and any witnesses who have not come forward already are invited to contact Swords Garda Station at 01 6664700 with any information they may have.

Fingal Independent