independent

Saturday 15 December 2018

33 route change sparks concerns

Fears commuters from North Fingal will have to transfer in Swords

Minister for Transport, Sport and Tourism Shane Ross and Anne Graham, Chief Executive Officer of the National Transport Authority at the launch of the Bus Connects plan
Minister for Transport, Sport and Tourism Shane Ross and Anne Graham, Chief Executive Officer of the National Transport Authority at the launch of the Bus Connects plan

The emerging details of the proposed changes to Dublin Bus Routes published by the NTA recently has commuters north of Swords worried as radical plans to shake up the 33 bus services cause local concern.

Places like Donabate and Portrane, Rush, Lusk and Skerries which are all used to having direct bus services to the City Centre through the various incarnations of the 33 route, will have to get used to getting off the bus in Swords before getting onto another one for the City Centre.

The new route design argues the feeder buses to Swords will be more frequent than the current direct service and that the route onwards from Swords will reduce in journey time from 71 minutes to 40 minutes but that has not been enough to quell building local anger against the move.

Reflecting some of that concern locally, Cllr Malachy Quinn said: 'We in Sinn Fein believe that rather than reducing its services Rush and Lusk need more capacity on the 33a and 33x routes making use of the M1 and Port Tunnel.' d

He said his party colleague, Deputy Louise O'Reilly was planning on raising the issue at Oirieachtas Committee on Transport.

Fine Gael's local area representative for the Donabate and Portrane peninsula Bob Dowling said: 'I am very disappointed by these proposals which would see the 33X route replaced by a new non-direct service of 285/282/A. This would also see the 33A service scrapped as well, which in my view would be devastating to locals in the North County.'

Labour councillor for the Rush and Lusk Area, Cllr Rob O'Donoghue said that there was some heated debate going on about the proposed changes, locally.

He said: ‘I’ve been talking about with people in the area for the last week and some people like it but I’m finding more that don’t.’

Among the proposed changes is replacing the 33 and 33a with the 285 operating every 15 mins from Skerries, with half of those beginning in Balbriggan.

The route is timed to meet rail services in Rush and Lusk. The 33b would be replaced by the 280 which would go to Swords and Clongriffin Dart Station.

Fingal Independent

News