independent

Monday 18 June 2018

Concert goers urged to use public transport to the gigs

Event organisers for the series of concerts at Malahide Castle this week and next, are urging as many people as possible to use public transport to get to the site and leave the car at home.

Ian Donaldson of Festival Republic has urged concert-goers to avail of extra Dart services and a dedicated bus service to and from the city centre. He said: 'Public transport would really well to this site, so we are advising people to use the Dart or the bus.'

For those who cannot avoid taking the car, the only entrance will be at the Back Road and there will only be limited parking on site so the advice is to get there early.

Local gardaí anticipate no traffic diversions will be necessary leading up to the concerts but some diversions will be put in place for about an hour from 10pm, to aid safe exit out of the site after the concerts.

Superintendent Gerard Donnelly said there will be a 'significant Garda presence' at each of the five concerts including armed gardaí, which he said was now 'standard practice' for events of this size.

He said however, that based on last year's successes at two concerts at the venue, he was not anticipating 'any difficulties or any trouble'.

Bag restrictions that were introduced last year will remain in place this summer, and nobody will be admitted with a bag any bigger than A4 size and any bags smaller than that, which are allowed on site, will be searched and alcohol will be confiscated.

Event organisers, gardaí and the local authority have worked for six months on a traffic management plan for the five events and Mr Donaldson said they were all 'comfortable' with that plan and expected it to work.

Fingal County Council's Stephen Peppard said that he had no specific figure for the likely economic boon the gigs will be for Malahide but said local traders are likely to report a major upsurge in business during the two weeks the concerts take place.

Fingal Independent

News