Tuesday 20 February 2018

Reck volleys home the vital goal for Oylegate

DAMIEN RECK'S volley, five minutes from time, moved Oylegate to within touching distance of the Under-16 Division 2 title on Saturday morning last in Crossabeg.

With the game deadlocked at 2-2, attacker Reck controlled the ball on his toe, soloed into space and cracked a low volley to the Rosslare net to move his side within two points of the crown.

In truth, this was the biggest game left for the table-toppers. The visitors, despite coming into the game eight points behind their rivals, were the only real challengers for the crown and, to their credit, they played like they needed the win.

Indeed, the defeat was a little tough on Rosslare who gave as good as they got against a side which has yet to drop a league point in nine games this season.

Racking up so many wins understandably breeds confidence and that couldn't have been clearer in a whirlwind first ten minutes in which Oylegate raced into a 2-0 lead.

Lee Kehoe flew away from the Rosslare defence in the fifth minute; he was initially denied by a good Gavin Carroll save but followed up to find the net at the second attempt.

One quickly became two when Reck got the faintest flick-header on a Conor Barlow left-wing cross and glanced it to the visitors' goal, but the hosts' joy didn't last long.

Just two minutes after going two down, Rosslare responded when David Goulson got away down the left and centred. The Oylegate defence struggled to clear the cross and the ball eventually popped out to Adam Devereux who hammered home from close range.

The setback didn't deter the home side for the next while as they probed without success, but gradually the clearcut chances became half-chances as Rosslare got to grips with the challenge and began getting forward consistently themselves.

Two or three times Dylan Cullen had to be alert to deny Rosslare, including just after half-time when a flowing move that involved Jason Ellard, Patrick O'Toole and Liam Delaney eventually ended with O'Toole forcing Cullen into a diving save.

It was no surprise when Rosslare did find an equaliser and for the second time it was Devereux hitting the net. On this occasion it was a superb curled free-kick that bent around the wall, and Cullen's diving body, to level the scores.

Devereux forced Cullen to save another free with 17 minutes remaining but it wasn't to be Rosslare's day as Reck had the final say for the league leaders.

Enniscorthy Guardian

Promoted Links

Promoted Links