Tuesday 21 November 2017

Joseph's shoot-out joy

North End United 1 St. Joseph's 1 (AET, St. Joseph's won on penalties): These sides are in the unique position of battling relegation from Division 1, but both produced a Michelle Coleman Cup final worthy of the occasion which had to go to sudden death penalties to decide a winner.

Chances were at a minimum in the early stages in Bunclody on Sunday, but it was the young but very experienced Leanne O'reilly who broke the deadlock when she put North End in front, a lead they held to half-time.

St. Joseph's went in search of an equaliser and it came when they were awarded a corner on 65 minutes and Aoife Kavanagh swung the ball in and straight to the back of the net. Defences dominated for the remaining 25 minutes and no further goals saw the game move to extra-time where once again chances were at a minimum and the game moved to penalties.

After a tense shoot-out, it was the Kilmuckridge girls who held their nerve and in sudden death penalties, they did enough to lift the Michelle Coleman Cup for the first time.

Chairman Daire Doyle presented the cup to the winning side while Emer O'leary picked up the player of the match award and the team put their relegation worries behind them as they headed back to Kilmuckridge for a night of celebration.

Camolin Celtic 3, Moyne Rangers 1: Playing in front of a large and vocal attendance in Bunclody on Sunday last, these two young sides produced a top-class Division 2B Cup final, with Camolin doing enough in the second-half to deny Moyne the league and cup double.

Camolin are in their first season and Moyne are in their second but looked far more experienced as both played attacking football and chances were created from the start. Despite that, the game arrived at half-time scoreless, mainly due to the hard work of both sets of defences.

Camolin made the breakthrough early in the second-half when Megan Murray's long-range shot took a nasty bounce and ended up in the net to give her side the lead. There was no such lucky break for the second goal when, 15 minutes later, the same player sent a free kick to the roof of the net and with twelve minutes to go, Caitríona Graham was on target to make it 3-0.

Ciara Tobin did pull back a consolation goal five minutes from time but it was too little, too late and Camolin did enough to hold on to lift the newest cup on the league's list of competitions. Megan Murray picked up a well-deserved player of the match award to crown off a great debut season for the Camolin girls.


St. Cormac's 2, Curracloe United 2: The final game of the women's Premier division was closely-contested but proved to be a disappointing one for Curracloe who find themselves relegated from the top flight for the first time in the club's history.

Tara Moloney put the visitors ahead but two goals from Stacey Redmond had the Boolavogue girls in front. Although Laura Corrigan scored late on for Curracloe, it was not enough to pull them away from the bottom two.

Promoted Links

Promoted Links