Monday 19 February 2018

Bridge beaten by double act Rowe and Banville cause havoc

TWO GOALS in each half helped Campile United to get their campaign off to a flyer as they demolished a disappointing Bridge Rovers in this one-sided Wexford Cup second round clash in Castlebridge on Sunday last.

Once again the strike force of Mikie Rowe and Eric Banville stepped up to the mark as the Premier Division outfit totally dominated this game, taking the initiative from a very early stage. Once they took an 18th-minute lead, the home side was always going to be under pressure.

This was another inspired display from the Campile team. Fielding one of their youngest sides for some considerable time, they are developing into quite an efficient outfit, and with their Premier Division status preserved, they can now concentrate on a lengthy cup run.

From the opening attacks it was clear that Campile were intent on blowing the opposition away. Early attacks forced two successive corners but the home defence managed to keep their goal intact, with Mark Tobin and Martin Walsh prominent at the back.

With the home side confined to quick counter-attacks, it came as no surprise when Campile took that 18th-minute lead, following periods of pressure. When the home side's back four only managed to clear a Dale Flynn cross to the edge of the area, Eric Banville controlled the ball to drill home a superb left-footed shot to the bottom right-hand corner of the net past a helpless Cormac O'Brien in goal.

Following a quick counter-attack Oisín Firman had a shot for goal blocked away for a fruitless corner kick by 'keeper John Bradley, while at the opposite end, both Banville and Rowe were causing huge problems for the Bridge back four, as they came close with a couple of attempts to increase their side's lead.

Campile United could have had more goals before they eventually increased their lead in the 32nd minute. The ball was played quickly through midfield, before Mikie Rowe was picked out on the right edge of the area, leaving the in-form striker to drive a tremendous right-footed shot across 'keeper O'Brien into the opposite right-hand corner of the net, a goal that left his side leading 2-0 at the interval.

Campile were determined to once again lay down a significant marker on the resumption. Within eight minutes of the re-start Rowe once againb demonstrated his instinct in front of goal when he powered home a superb shot from the edge of the area to make it 3-0, and there was no way back for the home side.

The gulf in standards was apparent for all to see as the Division 2 side struggled to salvage anything from this game. When Dylan Mernagh intercepted a ball in midfield he picked out Banville who left his marker for dead before beating 'keeper O'Brien in the home goal and making it 4-0.

Bridge managed a goal through Oisín Firman, their only threatening player up front all through, but it was a mere consolation score.

Enniscorthy Guardian

Promoted Links

Promoted Links