Wednesday 22 May 2019

U-15 match abandoned

Brendan Furlong

Wexford G.A.A. has launched an investigation into incidents that led to the Faythe Harriers versus Fethard Under-15 hurling Premier championship quarter-final replay being abandoned.

The replay took place in Páirc Charman on Friday, September 7, and it featured some disgraceful scenes as the game moved into second-half additional time.

Faythe Harriers were leading by 4-11 to 0-17 at the time, but with a dispute escalating, experienced referee Dan Crosby was forced to abandon the game.

The match report of the Kilmore official is now before Coiste na nOg who, following a preliminary consideration of its contents, have now decided to summon both clubs to a meeting tomorrow (Wednesday) night.

According to eye-witness reports the incidents were of such a serious nature that the Board are expected to come down heavily on those responsible.

Meanwhile, the unacceptable scenes close to the end of the Clongeen versus Kilmore Intermediate 'A' football championship quarter-final in Taghmon on Sunday are also likely to figure prominently in the report of referee Brendan Holohan.

Following an initial melee earlier in the second-half, all hell broke loose close to the finish when the majority of the players became embroiled, with two separate melees in close vicinity to each other.

Those involved were joined by a number of personnel from the sideline, leaving the Rathgarogue-Cushinstown referee with an almost impossible task, given that no neutral linesmen were present to be of assistance.

The incident was so serious that not a single player was left in the Kilmore half of the pitch, and the lack of help for the referee highlighted the County Board's neglect in not appointing neutral linesmen for Junior and Intermediate 'A' games.

This incident highlighted the serious nature of what can occur on the pitch, and there was no control of the sideline, as those gathered inside the fencing joined in the fracas having ran on to the field.

The lead up to the incident saw Kilmore's Paddy Byrne hauled down as he tried to launch an attack some 40 metres from the Clongeen goal.

Clongeen's Enda Murphy received a black card, while after several minutes of treatment, Byrne was carried from the pitch by two mentors, with referee Holohan walking behind and brandishing a red card.

According to a Kilmore official after the game, the former inter-county midfielder received a leg injury in the incident, while his brother, Thomas, received a nose injury.

After Paddy Byrne had been attended to for several minutes by medics, he was carried from the pitch by club mentors.

Following the game he was subsequently carried by mentors across the pitch to the dressing-rooms some distance away, with no stretcher available.

The lack of a stretcher brings into question player welfare, and it's an issue which Wexford G.A.A. must address.

Enniscorthy Guardian