Friday 15 December 2017

Ferns started second-half with flourish

A SCORING spurt of 2-2 in just three minutes early in the second-half sent Ferns St. Aidan's away from St. Mary's (Rosslare) and on course for victory in the Junior hurling championship Group B in St. Patrick's Park on Saturday last.

Trailing by 1-9 to 1-8 in the 35th minute, the Gorey District club found the net when Paddy O'Leary flashed a powerful shot past Grahan Mullen after an inch-perfect Ben Bernie pass.

Following points from Bernie and the unerringly accurate veteran Edward Cullen, O'Leary turned provider for his full-forward Bernie to grab his second goal off the underside of the crossbar.

The hammer blow to the psyche was too much for St. Mary's to overcome, the energy went out of the Wexford District club's performance and their opponents coasted to victory.

The drab end to the contest was a real pity after a superb first-half that saw Rosslare take an interval lead despite playing against the light breeze.

Ferns actually started livelier and goaled for the first time when O'Leary mishit a shot across the face of goal and into the path of Bernie who fired past Mullen to the St. Mary's net.

The eventual losers picked off several fine points through Paul Kinsella and Ultan Quirke and had squandered several half-chances until David Murphy's long ball out of defence fell to Kinsella and he found a major fillip late in the period (1-8 to 1-7 at half-time).

A Lee Devereux '65 cancelled out a Ben Cowman point early in the second-half before Ferns went on their scoring spree. After that Rosslare only managed three further points as Cullen scored at will to ease his side to their second win of this championship season.

Ferns St. Aidan's: Anthony Dwyer; Brian O'Neill, Seán Walsh, Teo Lacey; John O'Leary, Tomás Hawkins (0-1), Patrick Codd; Pádraig Walsh, Keith Rynhart; Andy Cash, Edward Cullen (capt., 0-8, 5 frees), Donnacha Kinsella (0-1); Paddy O'Leary (1-0), Ben Bernie (2-3), Ben Cowman (0-2). Subs. - Peter Codd (0-1) for Patrick Codd, inj. (30), Oisín MacPartlin for Cash (55), Keith Breen for Cowman (60).

St. Mary's: Graham Mullen; Conal Grant, Conor Cafferkey, Niall Cafferkey; Gearóid Byrne, David Murphy (capt.), Ned Power; Tiarnan Rossiter (0-1), Larry Morrissey; Lee Devereux (0-6, 4 frees, 1 '65), Andrew Murphy, Paul Kinsella (1-2); Ultan Quirke (0-2), James Sheil (0-1 free), Barry Quirke. Subs. - Aaron Kavanagh for Grant (34), Seán Finan for Morrissey (41), Emmet Byrne for U. Quirke (44), Derek Brohan for B. Quirke (55).

Referee: Dickie Murphy (Rapparees).

Enniscorthy Guardian

Promoted Links

Promoted Links