Coláiste Bríde is seeking old artifacts
Coláiste Bríde is searching for its roots, seeking to create a small museum to illustrate the evolution of 'The Mercy'.
Teacher Miriam Curtis has embarked on a mission to assemble a collection of artifacts and documents honouring the Mercy sisters. She has put out an appeal for items such as old school photographs and uniforms which will help present the past to new generations.
'The passage of time is one great enemy of heritage,' she commented. 'Happily there is still a window of opportunity to capture the history of Mercy secondary education in Enniscorthy.'
So she is on the lookout for school magazines, programmes, newspaper articles, written or oral records, copy books, school diaries, plain chant scores and whatever else people might have.
The nuns first arrived in Enniscorthy to teach young children during 1858. They first ventured into secondary education in 1935, an initiative which finally evolved into Coláiste Bríde in 1970. The convent close to St Senan's church closed in the year 2010 and Sister Elizabeth Breen was the final member of the order to work on the staff.
Museum coordinator Miriam Curtis is particularly to speak to women who attended the school during the 1930s - or to their families - to put their memories on the record. Contact (053)9234245.