Scanlon's golden boot seals Cup glory

Wesley edge Gerard's in Vinnie Murray final

Des Berry


Right wing Andrew Scanlon's three penalties were one too many for St Gerard's in the Powerade Leinster Schools Vinnie Murray Senior Cup final at Anglesea Road yesterday.

Wesley started as they meant to continue, claiming the first possession and keeping it as long as possible, mainly through the scheming of their fly-half James O'Donovan, earning a fifth-minute penalty that wing Andrew Scanlon just missed from an awkward angle.


St Gerard's answer to this was to bring something of their own style to the table, wing Sam Kingston countering to put them in the danger zone. They stayed on point long enough for right wing Mark Prendergast to almost get away from Hawe.

The problem for both sides was that they spoiled good position by not keeping their feet at ruck time, prompting referee David Williams to use the whistle more often than he wanted.

St Gerard's centre Con Callan popped up to secure turnover ball and handled again to test Wesley wider out where prop Adam Garvey was penalised for going off his feet. Scrum-half David Baker struck the opening points from 25 metres in the 24th minute.

The advantage didn't last too long. Wing Scanlon was given an outside chance of striking a penalty from near halfway. He gave it everything.

It was just about enough to make it 3-3 on the half hour.


Scanlon was quickly back to shift the momentum in favour of Wesley, with a precise penalty from the right edging them 6-3 ahead with the last act of the first half.

St Gerard's almost turned the game on its head when Kingston skated down the left wing only to be called back for a foot in touch.

It was to prove a pivotal moment as both teams threatened and tried without having the composure to make the vital breakthrough.

The Bray boys came again through centre Calvin Jordan. He almost got away, but forced a penalty when a defender knifed in from the side. Baker clipped over the three-pointer to make it level in the 69th minute.

The most dangerous time to keep concentration is just after you have scored. St Gerard's could not tame the restart and handed a penalty to Scanlon, who recovered the lead for good in injury-time.

SCORERS – Wesley College: A Scanlon 3 pens. St Gerard's School: D Baker 2 pens.

St Gerard's: R O'Caoimhe; M Prendergast, C Callan, C Jordan, S Kingston; T Whittle, D Baker; N Buckley, J Ryan, T Kenna, H Conan, C Kenny, B Fitzpatrick, D King, F Smith (capt). Replacements: N Byrne for Kenna, S Tyrrell for Conan both 61 mins.

Wesley College: T Hawe; A Scanlon, R Bracken, L Madeley, A McDonnell; J O'Donovan, A Copeland; A Garvey, J Hopkins, K Sweeney, J Pratt, C Douglas, S Pollock, A Walsh (capt), D Kelly. Replacements: P Cullen for Sweeney 17 mins; S Dalby for Douglas 50 mins; 20 O Brooks for Kelly 57 mins;.

Referee: David Williams (Leinster Branch).