Ospreys leave Scarlets with Biggar issues

Outside-half Dan Biggar supplied 26 points as Ospreys completely crushed regional rivals the Scarlets by seven tries to two (60-17) in this rearranged Magners League clash at the Liberty Stadium.

The one-sided bonus point victory takes the Ospreys into second place in the league table, ahead of the Scarlets.

The match had been delayed 24 hours from the scheduled St Stephen's Day kick-off because of frozen pipes at the Liberty Stadium. But it was the Scarlets who froze when the match kicked off.

Apart from the opening few minutes the Ospreys completely dominated the first half as they assumed a 20-3 half-time lead, and went on to score six tries in a second period which saw Martin Roberts and Sean Lamont both sent to the sin bin for the visitors.

Dominance at the set-piece and at the breakdown as well as Scarlets' indiscipline allowed to the Ospreys to take control of the match.

But the Scarlets were good value for an early 3-0 lead with a Rhys Priestland penalty before the home side turned the screw for the rest of the half.

The Scarlets did not help themselves by conceding soft penalties on 10, 14 and 18 minutes -- all kicked by man of the match Biggar.


And the Ospreys went a long way to winning the game with a try from James Hook on 25 minutes.

Problems at the scrum saw the Scarlets concede two more penalties on 34 and 39 minutes which the on-song Biggar made no mistake in converting for a handsome interval lead.

The Scarlets' problems increased at the start of the second half when they conceded two tries through Jonathan Thomas and Biggar.

Against the run of play Gareth Maule grabbed a try back but the Ospreys hit back with another three tries as Fussell crossed to secure the bonus point with Bowe and Paul James following suit.

Jonny Faamatuainu gave the Scarlets' score a bit of relative respectability with a try from a quick tap penalty but it was the home side who had the final say with a try for replacement Jamie Nutbrown.