malahide turn the tide

Niall Feery

MALAHIDE UNITED..................................2

GLEBE NORTH..........................................1

A goal either side of half-time handed Malahide United the honours in this pulsating North Dublin derby along with three precious points as the Gannon Park club dragged themselves up out of the relegation zone yesterday afternoon thanks to this pulsating victory.

United have been hanging around the wrong end of the table since the start of the season, but yesterday they grabbed a huge win that pulled them right out of the mire at the bottom and into the relative safety of mid-table.

Having lost four of their last five league games, Malahide went into this clash low on confidence while Glebe was hoping to continue on an unbeaten run of six games that has helped the Balbriggan side muscle their way into the title reckoning.


Those title hopes took a battering yesterday, though, as goals from Stephen Conway and Alan Corcoran undid all of Glebe's recent good form and in turn helped United chalk up their fourth win of the campaign.

Conway was the first on the scoresheet when he broke the deadlock three minutes before half-time when the striker was given the freedom of the Glebe penalty area to direct home a diving header from Gareth Logan's deflected cross.

With five minutes gone in the second half Malahide doubled their advantage when Corcoran came in at the sharp end of a lightening attack to thump home.

Just like the opening goal Logan was the chief instigator as he picked out Conway at the back post.

The scorer of the opener tapped the ball back to Corcoran, who dispatched a low, stinging effort by Jason Lowney.

Just after the hour mark Glebe were handed a route back into the game when Danny Moriarty had his ankles tapped by United goalkeeper, Pat Dunne, and referee John Caldwell had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Steven Nolan took the penalty and calmly stroked home past 'keeper Dunne.

The expected Glebe onslaught never materialised and it was the home side that came closest to adding to their tally.

Lowney was called into action to keep out a Brendan Markey effort while Conway then dragged a low shot just wide of the Glebe upright.

Moriarty had one final sniff of a chance in the last minute for the visitors but the lively substitute cracked the upright.

MALAHIDE: Pat Dunne; Stephen Reddy, Mark O'Reilly, Danny Butler, Adam Shehabbadeen, Chris Barbour, Alan Corcoran, Gareth Logan, Stephen Conway, Brendan Markey, Ray Scully. Subs: Adrian McDonald (for Scully 34mins), Keith Rock (for Barber 51mins), Callum Riches, Ronan Murtagh, Kevin O'Hanlon, Glen Lacey, Graham Greene.

GLEBE NORTH: Jason Lowney; Darren McCann, Ciaran Dunne, Anto McGuinness, Barry Kelly, Noel Barrett, Chris Costello, Austin McGann, Steven Nolan, Steven Richardson, Johnny Guerin. Subs:Danny Moriarty (for Richardson 55mins), David Shanley (for Costello 63mins), Abalberto Pinto (for Guerin 71mins), Justin Ahearn, Neil Beasley, Gregory Porzega, Peter O'Shea.

Referee: John Caldwell.