Friday 24 November 2017

Supersub Luke to rescue of Hawks

SUPERSUB Luke O'Driscoll plundered two late goals as the Hawks mounted a superb SFAI Cup comeback at St Oliver's.

The home side looked to be in big trouble when they went 2-0 down inside 10 minutes, one of the goals coming from former Ardee star Tom Jackson.

Hugh Murphy then made a superb save from a long-range effort and from the counter, Hawks won a free on the edge of the box and Luke Kelly blasted to the back of the net.

With Sean Caffrey, Robert Murphy, Thomas O'Connell and Femi Fanifosi battling hard, Hawks were still stretched at times, Murphy's safe hands coming to the rescue as the period closed.

Matthew Askins almost ghosted in for an equaliser late on in the half.

Hawks upped their game big time after the break, Aaron Moran and Bema Meite were key to much of their good work.

With 15 minutes to go, Hawks made their pressure tell when Meite and Askins went close, before O'Connell bundled the ball home to tie the game.

Bay looked to be going back in front when they broke clear, but Murphy advanced off his line to block superbly.

O'Driscoll and Askins went close again as Cian Mathews, Rian Byrne Farrell, Christian Connolly, and Maurice Quediago drove them on.

Eight minutes from time Aaron Moran's long ball in found O'Driscoll and he raced in ahead of the keeper to loop the ball over his head. And two minutes later he repeated the dose for a 4-2 advantage.

Suddenly, Conor Brennan and Edvinas Butauskas were coming into their own, and with time almost up Moran cut in from the left and sent a rasper goalwards for the fifth.

This was the performance of the season so far by the home side.

Drogheda Town: Hugh Murphy, Aaron Moran, Cian Mathews, Rian Byrne Farrell, Christian Connolly, Conor Brennan, Sean Caffrey, Luke Kelly, Luke O'Driscoll, Thomas O'Connell, Robert Murphy, Matthew Askins, Femi Fanifosi, Maurice Quediago, Edvinas Butauskas, Bema Meite.

Drogheda Independent

Promoted Links

Promoted Links