Thursday 22 March 2018

Struggling Town still propping up the table

DROGHEDA Town continue to prop up the LSL Division 1 table with no points from six games after conceding three goals in the final 12 minutes at home to Glenville on Friday night.

The casualty list going into the match reached double figures and manager Pete Brennan was forced to start himself and Derek Thornton as well as fielding a couple of debutants at this level.

It was Brennan who had the best chance for Town in the first half when he latched onto a short back-pass with a hopeful toe-poke that the Glenville keeper saved.

Opportunities were generally at a premium at both ends, however, as Town concentrated on keeping a good shape to frustrate the opposition.

The hosts' confidence grew in the second half, with Tadhg O'Brien playing well in midfield and 18-year-old Kevin Lee starting to cause problems for Glenville on the flank - that was until he suffered a bad head knock and had to be taken to hospital for stitches.

Brennan was just beginning to contemplate making changes and bringing on fresh legs when Glenville struck in the 78th minute, their centre-forward latching onto a pull-back to net at the near post.

As Town desperately sought a way back into the game they were undone twice more in the final 10 minutes to put a rather cruel look on the scoreline.

Stephen McDonnell apart, Brennan hopes to have a full squad available for this Friday's visit of Greystones to Marian Park - kick-off 7.45pm.

DROGHEDA TOWN: Bryan Smith, Graham Reynolds, Andy Hickey, Alan Connor, Conor Healy, Derek Thornton (Barry McKenna), Tadgh O'Brien, Richard Gibney, Kevin Lee (Danny Moriarty), Pete Brennan (Curtis Sullivan), Barry Dyas.

Boyne Rovers' suffered a frustrating night of inactivity last Friday when they travelled to Bray/Zil for a Major 1 Sunday fixture, only to have the game called off because of floodlight failure.

Next Sunday Wayne Wright's charges are away to Liffey Valley Rangers in the Polikoff Cup.

Drogheda Independent