Wednesday 21 February 2018

Five-star 'Well set sights on 'double'

Black Bull’s Cathal Giblin is tackled by Barry Mannion (Carrick Rovers) during the Drogheda side’s vital 3-1 win. Pictures: Paul Connor
Black Bull’s Cathal Giblin is tackled by Barry Mannion (Carrick Rovers) during the Drogheda side’s vital 3-1 win. Pictures: Paul Connor

NEWFOUNDWELL are still on course for a famous league and cup double after they moved to within three points of the First Division title with this comprehensive win.

The Drogheda side had already clinched promotion to the Premier the previous weekend and also had one eye on next Sunday's Tully Bookmakers quarter-final against Kingscourt Harps, and they took just 18 minutes to break the deadlock against Navan.

Ian Devine's pass put Ciaran Carroll through on goal and he was taken down for a penalty which was converted by Stephen Keeley.

Karl Branigan had a low, hard shot saved by the visiting keeper, but it was only a temporary reprieve as Carroll's swerving 25-yard shot bounced off the post to Karl Dyas who fired home from 12 yards for 2-0.

Carroll had another shot saved and one that went wide and with no further scoring before half-time the 'Well took what looked like a comfortable advantage into the break.

When play resumed Navan had their first attack of the game which ended with a shot that flew over the bar, and shortly after Alan Sweeney was forced into his first save following an untimely slip by Stephen Murphy.

Navan kept up the pressure and it took a goal-line clearance by Darragh Traynor to safeguard Newfoundwell's two-goal advantage.

But against the run of play the home side struck again on 53 minutes when Cormac Reid dribbled past three players and picked out Devine who set up Dyas for 3-0, and there was no way back for Navan this time.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men when one of their players received a second yellow card for a foul on Gaz Smith, yet Traynor was called upon to make another goal-line clearance as Navan showed no desire to lie down.

Several more chances came and went for the 'Well as the Navan keeper performed some heroics, but then substitute Ross Reid was taken down just outside the box by a last-man challenge, resulting in another red card for the away side.

Navan survived the resulting free kick, but not the next one as Cormac Reid was fouled 30 yards out and Keeley hit an unstoppable bullet straight down the middle, giving the keeper no chance.

Dyas went on to complete his hat-trick when Keeley's shot was saved by the over-worked keeper, only for the ball to bounce into the net off the striker's boot.

NEWFOUNDWELL: Alan Sweeney, Gaz Smith (Cian O'Brien), Stephen Murphy, Shane wall, Darragh Traynor, Karl Branigan (Brian Kermode), Cormac Reid, Stephen Keeley, Karl Dyas, Ciaran Carroll, Ian Devine (Ross Reid).

Drogheda Independent

Promoted Links

Promoted Links