Monday 19 November 2018

Two sent off as Syddan draw

SYDDAN ... 0-8ST. PETER'S DUNBOYNE ... 0-8BROTHERLY love was put to one side for sixty minutes as Dunboyne sharpshooter Andy McEntee denied Syddan,

SYDDAN ... 0-8


BROTHERLY love was put to one side for sixty minutes as Dunboyne sharpshooter Andy McEntee denied Syddan, coached by his brother Shane, a winning start on their return to senior championship at Rathkenny last Saturday evening.

The younger of this famous footballing family kicked six points, including the equaliser three minutes from the finish as thirteen man Dunboyne salvaged a share of the spoils.

The Dunboyne man was the happier of the two McEntee's at the end after his side had clung on despite having John Ryan and Ken Gannon sent off in two separate second half incidents.

Defender Ryan was somewhat unfortunate to see red following his hand trip on Philip Duff as the Syddan forward sped towards goal in the 40th minute.

However Ken Gannon could have no complaints about his dismissal eight minutes later following a remark to referee Jimmy Henry.

That numerical advantage should have been enough to get Syddan through but they failed to seize the initiative in what was a tight match throughout.

There was never more than two points between the sides at any stage. Syddan led 0-3 to 0-1 after 13 minutes and were ahead 0-5 to 0-3 at the break.

Dunboyne enjoyed their best spell throughout the third quarter during which they registered four points to Syddan's one, and Gerard McGovern's point in the 44th minute put them ahead for only the second time in the match.

They had opened the scoring through Denis Gallagher in the 3rd minute before Brian Dillon pointed a free for Syddan's first score. Stephen Dillon and Shay Duff accounted for further points in that opening quarter.

McEntee scored the first of his five points from frees, and had the sides level in the 18th minute following a great long range score from play.

It was the North Meath side who enjoyed the better of the first half exchanges though and deservedly led at the break following two fine points from Trevor Gilsenan.

The corner forward should have had another point and a goal in that opening half though. He was denied by a brilliant point plank save from David Gallagher in the 10th minute and was wide from a relatively close range free minutes later.

Gilsenan proved to be Syddan's most influential attacker throughout the second half however, notching two further points from play as his side struggled to get scores.

McEntee, immediately after the restart and again in the 36th minute had points to level before Brian Dillon from the free which led to the dismissal of Ryan, restored the Syddan lead.

McEntee converted another free, and McGovern edged Dunboyne ahead but Gilsenan had the sides level again entering the final quarter.

The same player then edged Syddan ahead but a foul on Tony Byrne gave McEntee the opportunity to equalise three minutes from the finish.

Dunboyne could have snatched victory in the last minute when a quick free kick from keeper Syddan keeper James Sheehy went straight to substitute Neville Reilly who shot wide from close range.

Syddan's exuberance probably cost them victory. They crowded the middle too much after the sending offs and it was Dunboyne on occasions who took greater advantage of the open spaces.

Thomas Dillon at fullback had a fine match for they for McKenna.

North Meath side and Joey Dillon made some superb catches at midfield. Elsewhere Stephen Dillon, Shay Duff, Ian Curran and Gilsenan had good moments.

Enda McManus was solid all through for Dunboyne and he got best support from Liam Duggan, Gerard McGovern, Nigel Crawford, Tony Byrne and McEntee.

SCORERS: Syddan: Trevor Gilsenan (0-4), Brian Dillon (0-2), Stephen Dillon, Shay Duff (0-1 each).

Dunboyne: Andy McEntee (0-6), Denis Gallagher, Gerard McGovern (0-1 each).

SYDDAN: James Sheehy, Francis McKenna, Thomas Dillon, Martin Cassidy, Ian Curran, Stephen Dillon, Robbie Clare, Joey Dillon, Noel McGillic, Derek Sheehy, Philip Duff, Sean Malone, Brian Dillon, Shay Duff, Trevor Gilsenan.

Sub: Luke Halpenny for Derek Sheehy.

DUNBOYNE: David Gallagher, Davin Reilly, Liam Duggan, John Ryan, Gerard McGovern, Enda McManus, Paul Watters, Tony Byrne, Nigel Crawford, Denis Gallagher, Andy McEntee, Simon Crawford, Ken Gannon, Darragh Smith, Niall McKenna.

Subs: Vinny Maguire for Davin Reilly, Neville Reilly for McKenna.

Referee: Jimmy Henry.