Tuesday 16 October 2018

St. Pats hold on

ST. PATRICKS ... 0-12SLANE ... 0-10SLANES return to the intermediate ranks could be an extended one if they reproduce the form shown...

ST. PATRICK’S ... 0-12

SLANE ... 0-10

SLANE’S return to the intermediate ranks could be an extended one if they reproduce the form shown in the opening 45 minutes of this first round IFC tie against last years beaten finalists St. Patrick’s at Donore on Sunday.

The losers failed to score from play in that period and looked a well beaten side as they trailed 0-10 to 0-4 with the game entering the final quarter.

An Aiden McMenamon point, their first from play in the 46th minute seemed to ignite the Slane men however and from there to the finish St. Patrick’s were fully extended to hold on for victory.

Slane were simply dreadful for three quarters of this dour encounter which only sparked to life in the final quarter. They overplayed the ball on too many occasions, gave away needless frees, and squandered most of the chances they managed to create.

St. Patrick’s were also far from their best as they led 0-7 to 0-2 at the break. They were ahead 0-3 to 0-1 at the end of the opening quarter following two converted frees from Daithi Whyte and another from Martin Kirk. Declan Kearns replied from a free for Slane in that period.

The winners totally dominated the early stages and should have been ahead by much more but Martin Byrne had a penalty saved by Slane keeper Colm Reilly and they were also off target from a number of other efforts.

Midfielder Gerry Martyn did his best to get Slane back into the match, but despite the prompting of the big midfielder, another free converted by Kearns was all they had to show for their efforts.

Meanwhile Barry Campbell, Martin Kirk and Whyte (two) all pointed for the winners to leave them in a comfortable position at the break.

The Stamullen men extended that lead by a further three points within ten minutes of the restart following scores from Kirk (two) and Ray Russell.

Eamonn Gibney added two points from frees for Slane but it was only after McMenamon pointed that they seemed to shake themselves up. Two more Gibney frees left only three points between the sides, 0-10 to 0-7, and at that stage Slane looked capable of causing a shock.

St. Patrick’s hit back with a crucial point from a Whyte free with ten minutes remaining but Slane continued to press and Gibney and Shane Coyle added further points to leave just two between the sides by the 52nd minute.

The winners can thank their keeper David Mooney for keeping their lead intact in those closing stages. Mooney came to his sides rescue on two occasions, to deny McMenamon and Declan Kearns.

At the other end Slane also had a let off when a shot from sub Peter Sullivan came off the crossbar before Ivan Curran eventually pointed to extend the lead to three.

Gibney struck his sixth point of the game two minutes into injury time but it was last years runners-up to held out for a victory which wasn’t nearly as comfortable as it should have been.

Ronan Kearns was outstanding for the winners allthrough and got good support from Michael Calvey, Ray Russell, Martin Kirk and Daithi Whyte.

Stephen Carolan, Stephen Gough, Gerry Martyn, Gibney and Jonathan Cullen did well for the losers but they left themselves with too much to do in the closing stages.

ST. PATRICK’S: David Mooney, Paddy Rothwell, Niall Russell, Michael Calvey, Ray Russell (0-1), Ronan Kearns, Ciaran Russell, Cormac Sullivan, Neil Lennon, Cormac Murphy, Martin Kirk (0-4), Martin Byrne, Ivan Curran (0-1), Barry Campbell (0-1), D. Whyte (0-5).

Sub: Peter Sullivan for Kirk.

SLANE: Colm Reilly, Stephen Gough, Stephen Carolan, Willie Clarke, Eoin Ferriter, Paddy Martyn, Jonathan Cullen, Gerry Martyn, Frankie Feeley, Shane Coyle (0-1), Keith Harding, Aiden McMenamon (0-1), Wayne Harding, Eamonn Gibney (0-6), Declan Kearns (0-2).

Sub: Alan Reilly for Keith Harding.

Referee: Pat Clarke (Seneschalstown)

Duleek beaten

DRUMREE ... 0-14

DULEEK ... 1-9

EVAN Kelly kicked ten points as Drumree came from behind in the closing stages to get the better of Duleek in this Banjo Sherlocks Meath IFC tie at Clonee on Saturday evening.

A goal from substitute Martin Cassidy in the early stages of the final quarter had given Duleek a slender lead but the East Meath side failed to score for the last 12 minutes of the match as Drumree replied with three unanswered points, including one from the penalty spot just before full-time, to take the honours.

The winners led 0-8 to 0-5 at the break with three of those Duleek points coming from Colin Duignan frees. Peter Curran and Bartle Lenehan were also on target for Duleek in that period.

Duleek drew level within five minutes of the restart following points from Duignan (two frees), and Kenny McDonnell.

They were unable to build on that goal from Cassidy though but were a little unfortunate to go lose out at the finish.

Andrew Murphy, Brian Tallon, and Karl McDonnell and Kenny McDonnell were best for the losers.

DULEEK: David Andrews, Adrian Joyce, Ciaran Byrne, Andrew Murphy, Brian Tallan, Stephen Murphy, Mark Cudden, Bartle Lenehan (0-1), Karl McDonnell, Peter Curran (0-1), Colin Duignan (0-5), Aoghain Byrne, Aonghus Fives, Kenny McDonnell (0-1), Michael Johnson (0-1).

Subs: Martin Cassidy (1-0), for Fives, Niall Barry for Mark Cudden.

Drums Alive



DRUMCONRATH kept alive their intermediate football championship hopes when salvaging a share of the spoils against Carnaross at Nobber on Saturday evening last but they were denied both points by an injury time equaliser.

The sides were also level at the break 1-2 apiece. Corner forward Sean Reilly got Drumconrath off to the perfect start with a 2nd minute goal but they didn’t score again until two minutes before the break when Thomas Dardis pointed. Carnaross had already notched a goal and two points at that stage but a Paddy Reilly point had the sides level at the break.

Carnaross went two points clear early in the second half before a goal from Ollie McMahon in the 44th minute put Drumconrath back in front. That lead was short lived however but Drumconrath had points from Pete McMahon and Paul Tighe to go two clear with seven minutes remaining.

Ollie Murphy who was well policed by Wayne Sherlock all through pulled a point back for Carnaross an then in injury time they secured an equaliser.

Drumconrath were unlucky in the closing stages when an Ollie McMahon effort hit a post but they squandered chances earlier in the match that were to prove costly at the final whistle.

Brian Flanagan, Cathal Byrne, Wayne Sherlock, Paddy Reilly, Paul Tighe and Pete McMahon were best.

DRUMCONRATH: Kevin Carry, Cathal Byrne, Wayne Sherlock, Brian Flanagan, Derek Flanagan, Peter McMahon (0-1), Shane Byrne, Paddy Reilly (0-1), Thomas Dardis (0-1), Oliver McMahon (1-0), John Carey, Paul Tighe (0-1), Alan Byrne, Padraig McMahon, Sean Reilly (1-0).

Subs: Peter Tighe for Shane Byrne, Leighton Irwin for Padraig McMahon.

Reilly returns

DUNBOYNE ... 4-14

ST. VINCENT’S ... 2-8

FORMER Meath intercounty star Brendan Reilly produced an outstanding display at fullforward as Dunboyne easily defeated St. Vincent’s in this opening round JFC tie at Donaghmore on Sunday.

Boosted by a goal and a couple of points from Reilly the winners led 3-4 to 0-5 at the break. Richie Dunne (three) and Aoghain Smith (two) accounted for the Ardcath sides scores in that opening half.

The losers enjoyed their best period in the third quarter, during which they registered two goals and a point, to cut the deficit to three points.

Dunne and Sean Og Travers notched the goals while Dunne also accounted for a point.

However Dunboyne upped the tempo again and were very comfortable winners at the finish.

Fergal Carberry, Ronnie McNally, Sean Og Travers and Dunne were best for the losers.

ST. VINCENTS: Gerard Clerkin, Alan Early, James O’Brien, Ciaran Connor, John Grehan, Fergal Carberry, Ronan Sheridan, Ronnie McNally, Aoghain Smith (0-2), Stephen Sheridan, Ciaran Brady, Sean McNally, Joseph Wall, Sean Og Travers (1-0), Richie Dunne (1-5).

Subs: Patrick Kearns for Alan Early, Eamonn O’ Reilly for C. Connor, Paul Dunican (0-1) for Joseph Wall.

Junior B

ST. PATRICK’S ... 3-8


TWO third quarter goals from Noel Dunne put St. Patrick’s on their way to victory in this junior B F.C. match at Duleek on Sunday evening last.

Seneschalstown led at the break 1-7 to 1-4 but Dunne levelled matters when he converted a penalty five minutes after the restart. David O’Flaherty then pointed St. Patrick’s ahead before Seneschalstown struck with a goal to regain the lead.

However after Dunne notched his second goal St. Patrick’s were never subsequently headed and with Niall Whearty scoring a brace of points they held on for a narrow win.

David O’Flaherty had the winners opening half goal after five minutes and the same player also notched three points in that first half. The winners other point of the half came from Nicky Harris.

Paddy and John Muldowney, Kevin Gow, Noel Dunne and O’Flaherty were best for the winners.

ST. PATRICK’S: P. Muldowney, J. Muldowney, N. Harris (0-1), D. Collier, C. Calvey, K. Ludlow, K. Gow, J. Hughes, E. Calvey, A. Loughlin, D. Ryan, N. Sheridan, N, Whearty (0-2), N. Dunne (2-0), D. O’Flaherty (1-5).

Sub: C. Nally for E. Calvey.

Duleek win

DULEEK ... 1-8


DULEEK hardly had to break sweat to get the better of Rathkenny in this junior B FC match at Donore on Sunday.

The losers were forced to field a number of U-16 players and they didn’t register their opening point until three minutes from the finish when Gerry Gavagan, who switched from goals to fullforward at the start of the second half, pointed.

Gavagan then hit a penalty wide before Willie Downey had another consolation score.

Trevor Connell (two), Gary O’Reilly and Ollie Cudden had points for Duleek in the opening half before fullforward Paul Moore goaled on the stroke of half-time.

The second half continued to be one way traffic with Cudden and Connell in fine form. Stephen Mills, Conor Flaherty and Gary O’Reilly also played well for the winners.

Kieran Meade, Bernard Markey, Ronan Curtis and Michael Doggett were best for the losers.

DULEEK: R. Nolan, J. Barry, S. Mills, M. Crosby, D. Whearty, C. Flaherty, E. Kinsella, O. Cudden (0-2), C. Crosby, P. Martin, R. O’Neill, G. O’ Reilly (0-2), S. Connor, P. Moore (1-0), T. Connell (0-4).

Subs: R. Leddy for C. Crosby, K. Farrelly for O’Neill, S. Curley for Connor.

RATHKENNY: G. Gavagan (0-1), B. Kelly, B. Markey, R. Califf, M. Macken, R. Curtis, M. Brien, M. Downey, G. Carpenter, T. Martin, M. Doggett, D. Timmons, T. Kealy, K. Meade, W. Downey (0-1).

Sub: N. Kearns for Brien, S. McElearney for Kelly.