Saturday 17 November 2018

Fives goal keeps Duleek Championship hopes alive

DULEEK ... 1-6 CARNAROSS ... 0-8 DULEEK resurrected their IFC hopes when getting the better of Carnaross by the narrowest of margins at Walterstown on Sunday last.

The East Meath side must now hope that tabletoppers Drumree beat Ballivor in their last match to give Duleek a three-way play-off with Castletown and Ballivor.

The winners started in earnest fashion, scoring the opening four points but they looked a beaten side as Carnaross dominated the second and third quarters to build up a 0-8 to 0-4 lead.

However a goal from substitute Aonghus Fives, following a goalmouth scramble after an Adrian Joyce penalty had been saved, brought the sides level with seven minutes remaining. Then five minutes from the finish, minor captain Paul Martin notched the winning point from a free, to maintain Duleek’s interest in the competition for another while at least.

Colin Duignan (two), Karl McDonnell, and Nigel McQuaile from a free, were on target in the opening half but it was Carnaross who led 0-5 to 0-4 at the break.

Points from Thomas Farrelly, Brian Smith, and Stephen Yore, his fourth of the game, increased the Carnaross lead within ten minutes of the restart. Kenny McDonnell pulled a point back for Duleek and despite having midfielder Karl McDonnell sent off, they managed to snatch victory in the closing stages.

Duleek: R. O’Neill, M. Cudden, C. Byrne, A. Murphy, B. Tallon, A. Joyce, S. Murphy, Karl McDonnell, B. Lenehan, M. Johnson, C. Duignan, P. Martin, N. Barry, Kenny McDonnell, N. McQuaile.

Subs: O. Cudden, T. Cunningham, Aonghus Fives

Scorers: Duleek: Aonghus Fives (1-0), Colin Duignan (0-2), Karl McDonnell, Kenny McDonnell, Nigel McQuaile, Paul Martin (0-1each).

Carnaross: Stephen Yore (0-4), Thomas Farrelly (0-2), Brian Smith, Brian Comaskey (0-1 each).

Slane Out

ST. PAUL’S ... 2-8

SLANE ... 0-9

DONAGHMORE/ASHBOURNE threw Slane a championship lifeline by defeating St. Colmcilles on Friday evening last but the East Meath side were unable to take advantage, and their title aspirations sank with this defeat by St. Paul’s at Walterstown on Sunday in this IFC encounter.

St. Pauls were playing in the junior grade 12 months ago while Slane were competing in the senior ranks and it was the promoted side who ran out fully deserving winners.

Two third quarter goals from substitute Tom Keague paved the way for the winners who were on level terms at 0-4 each at the interval.

Keague notched the first of those goals from the penalty spot and when he hit his second it left the winners ahead 2-7 to 0-5. They only managed another point as Slane rallied in the final ten minutes of the game to score points from Declan Kearns, Keith Harding, Shane Coyle and Stephen Carolan.

Slane produced their best football in this period with Stephen Carolan, Paddy Martyn, Aiden McMenamin and Barry Moore prominent, but their overall effort throughout the hour proved disappointing as it was the winners who showed the greater hunger despite having little more than pride to play for.

Scorers - Slane: Declan Kearns (0-4), Shane Coyle (0-2), B. McConnon, Keith Harding, Stephen Carolan (0-1 each).

St. Paul’s: Tom Keague (2-0), Philip Connolly (0-3), Eamonn Moyles, Johnny Geraghty (0-2 each), Anthony Moyles (0-1).

St. Paul’s: M. Fox, B. Gogan, B. Moyles, C. Finn, S. Moyles, D. Kane, N. Gogan, A. Moyles, R. Gibbons, A. Minch, E. Moyles, D. Hobbs, J. Geraghty, P. Connolly, A. Baker.

Slane: C. Reilly, E. Feriter, B. Moore, W. Clarke, S. Gough, P. Martyn, J. Cullen, G. Martyn S. Carolan, S. Coyle, K. Harding, A. McMenamin, B. McConnon, D. Kearns, G. Kealy.

Four points



CASTLETOWN kept alive their slim hopes of a place in the knockout stages of the IFC but they were unconvincing when overcoming Drumconrath at Nobber on Saturday evening last.

Drumconrath were minus several regulars and also had Wayne Sherlock sent off in the second half but they managed to make it difficult for their North Meath neighbours throughout.

The winners registered the four opening points of the match and the game was 19 minutes old before Drumconrath had their first score, a well taken goal from Stephen Lynch. Niall Carolan notched a second Drumconrath goal in the 26th minute and Wayne Sherlock added a quick point to stretch the lead 2-1 to 0-4.

The was no shortage of goalmouth action in this period and Castletown bounced back two minutes before the break with a goal to leave the sides level at the break, 2-1 to 1-4.

The opening six minutes of the second half saw Castletown take a firm grip on proceedings with three points before they again prised open the Drumconrath defence for their second goal. The losers hit back with points from Thomas Dardis, and Sean and Wayne Reilly before the end of the third quarter and they managed to close the deficit to two points with less than five minutes remaining but Castletown sealed victory with two late points.

Kevin Carry, Sean and Wayne Reilly, Peter Tighe, Brian Flanagan and Niall Carolan were best for Drumconrath.

Drumconrath: K. Carry, B. Flanagan, S. Byrne, S. Kane, Padraig McMahon, O. McMahon, Peter Tighe, W. Reilly (0-2), R. McGahan, W. Sherlock (0-1), T. Dardis (0-1), A. Dunne, N. Carolan (1-1), S. Reilly (0-1), S. Lynch (1-0).

Subs: M. Reilly for Lynch, D. Tighe for S. Kane.

Junior C FC

St. Patrick’s ... 2-13

Curraha ... 1-4

ST. PATRICK’S continued their march to the knockout stages of the junior C FC with an easy win over Curraha at Bellewstown on Sunday last.

Colin O’Brien had the winners opening half goal as they led 1-5 to 0-1 at the break.

Substitute Mark Delaney goaled in the second half as the Stamullen side pulled away for a clear-cut win.

St. Patrick’s: M. McQuillan, B. Muldowney, D. Callaghan, L. Stafford, D. Moore, P. Hughes, B. McAuley, N. Black, C. Smith (0-2), S. Kirwin (0-2), K. Mullally, A. Wade (0-1), K. Reilly (0-4), M. Collins (0-1), C. O’Brien (1-0).

Subs: R. Collier (0-1) for Black, C. Martin (0-2) for Mullally, J. Muldowney for Moore, M. Delaney (1-0) for Collins, T. Russell for O’Brien.