Monday 15 October 2018

Curtis stars as Rathkenny register vital win

RATHKENNY ... 1-11 DONAGHMORE/ASHBOURNE ... 1-8 RATHKENNY edged away from the relegation trap door following this deserved win over Donaghmore/Ashbourne in the IFC at Skryne on Sunday evening last.

The winners were recording their first win from four outings and they showed the importance of this game as they dug deep in the closing stages to chisel out a vital win.

Boosted by a fine John Lynch goal just before half-time, the Dublin border outfit led 1-4 to 0-4 at the break. They trailed by three points ten minute into the second half as Rathkenny fought back gallantly but were on level terms with less than five minutes of the match remaining.

It was then Rathkenny upped the tempo in their efforts to retain their intermediate status. Fullforward Donal Curtis who had an outstanding second half pointed the North Meath side ahead in the 58th minute, Tony Kealy converted a close range free a minute later and it was Curtis who hit the insurance score deep into injury time.

Curtis’s second half display was crucial to his sides success. The intercounty star registered a goal and five points in that period with the goal, in the 37 minute, a simple tap in following a tremendous passing movement which split open the Donaghmore defence.

The combined efforts of midfielder Murt O’Sullivan and corner forward David Dowd ensured that the Ashbourne outfit responded well to Rathkenny’s improved start to the second half. Both managed two points to ensure that their side were still in contention going into the closing stages.

However the imput of Curtis proved the main difference as the Donaghmore/Ashbourne defence were unable to cope Rathkenny operated with a two man fullforward line for most of the game.

John and Noel Curtis, Tony Kealy and Thomas Rowan also played well for the winners while Murt O’Sullivan, Darren Garry, John Lynch and David Dowd all did well for the losers who badly missed the services of Timmy O’ Regan and Rory Maguire in attack.

Rathkenny: J. Martin, T. McKeever, J. Curtis, J. McKeever, R. Califf, N. Curtis, M. Reid, D. Heery, D. Smith, E. Curtis (0-2), T. Rowan (0-1), P. Downey, T. Kealy (0-3), Donal Curtis (1-5), Dermot Curtis.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne: A. Bermingham, D. Garry, M. Beggy, D. Gaughan, S. Harmon, B. Murphy, M. Lynch, M. O’Sullivan (0-3), I. Dowd, J. Lynch (1-0), R. Tormey, P. Finglas, C. Flanagan (0-1), P.J. Moran, D. Dowd (0-4).

Sub: F. Harmon for Finglas.

Pat’s hold on

ST. PATRICK’S ... 1-11

ST. PAULS ... 2-6

THE scoreline might suggest otherwise but this was a comfortable enough victory for St. Patrick’s as they kept up the chase for a knockout place in the IFC at Skryne on Sunday evening last.

While just two points separated the sides at the finish a shock outcome rarely looked on the cards as St. Pauls notched a goal and a point in injury time to put a somewhat flattering look on the scoreline.

The winners dominated for long periods but their finishing was erratic at times and they amassed a total of sixteen wides, ten of which came in the opening half. They were the sharper side throughout though but have shown a tendency in recent times to drift out of matches in the closing stages.

Both sides started slowly and there was just three scores in the opening quarter, St. Patrick’s ahead 0-2 to 0-1, but the East Meath outfit improved as the half went on and by half-time they led 1-6 to 0-1.

Barry Campbell and Daithi Whyte, (two each), Martin Kirk and Ray Russell were the point scores and the winners goal came in injury time in that opening half when a fine move started by Ciaran Russell led to Ivan Curran setting up Peter Sullivan for a well worked goal.

St. Patrick’s were also slow to start in the second half and were rocked by an early goal when Tom Keague netted at the second attempt, after keeper David Mooney had earlier made a fine block.

Ivan Curran responded with a point for the winners but three points in as many minutes from Johnny Geraghty, Mick Tynan and Anthony Moyles reduced the deficit to three, 1-7 to 1-4 in favour of the Stamullen men.

The winners continued to squander chances but they also managed to hit the target as well on a number of occasions and points from Martin Kirk, Daithi Whyte and half-back Ray Russell, his second of the match, St. Patrick’s led 1-10 to 1-5 by the 47th minute.

Sloppy play in the losers defence led to Fergus Minogue winning possession to set up Whyte for his fourth point of the match. The game was in injury time when full-forward Alan Baker pointed for St. Pauls and Tom Keague converted a penalty in the 63rd minute in the last action of the match.

Both Ray Russell and Noel Collier were outstanding in the winners defence while Niall Russell and Ronan Kearns also played soundly. Daithi Whyte, Barry Campbell and Martin Kirk were lively in attack but overall the winners will need to improve their accuracy.

St. Patrick’s: D. Mooney, N. Collier, N. Russell, C. Murphy, R. Russell (0-2), R. Kearns, C. Russell, C. Sullivan, J. Hughes, M. Kirk (0-2), P. Sullivan (1-0), M. Byrne, B. Campbell (0-2), D. Whyte (0-4), I. Curran (0-1).

Subs: D. O’Flaherty for Byrne, F. Minogue for P. Sullivan.

St. Pauls: M. Fox, C. Finn, D. Kane, B. Gogan, C. Finn (0-1), E. Moyles, N. Gogan, A. Moyles (0-1), R. Gibbons, J. Geraghty (0-2), T. Keague (2-0), A. Lynch, P. Connolly, A. Baker (0-1), M. Tynan (0-1).

Duleek win

DULEEK ... 0-13


THE accuracy of Peter Curran paved the way for a vital win for Duleek in the IFC at Seneschalstown on Sunday evening last.

Curran accounted for seven points of his sides tally, all from frees, with his three pointed efforts in the closing five minutes of the game slamming the door firmly on the North Meath men.

With both side having already dropped three points neither could afford another slip and it was Duleek who remain firmly in contention following this latest victory.

The winners led 0-4 to 0-3 after 20 minutes and further points late in the half from Colin Duignan, and Karl McDonnell (two) left them ahead 0-7 to 0-3 at the break. Shane Byrne, Oliver McMahon and Paddy Reilly accounted for Drumconrath’s opening half points.

Curran converted his fourth free a minute into the second half and while the losers responded with two points Duleek always had the edge, though they did squander numerous chances.

Drumconrath’s tendency to foul was punished by Curran and the losers struggled throughout to produce anything near top form.

Cathal Byrne, Kevin Flanagan, Kevin Carry and Paddy Reilly were best for Drumconrath while Mark Cudden, Ciaran Byrne, Brian Tallan, Karl McDonnell and Curran were best for the winners who face Castletown and Carnaross in their two remaining matches.

Duleek: D. Andrews, M. Cudden, C. Byrne, A. Murphy, B. Tallan, A. Joyce, S. Murphy, B. Lenehan, Karl McDonnell (0-2), M. Johnson (0-2), C. Duignan (0-2), P. Curran (0-7), N. Barry, Kenny McDonnell, N. McQuaile.

Subs: A. Fives for Barry, D. Crosbie for S. Murphy.

Drumconrath: K. Carry, C. Byrne, K. Flanagan, J. McDermott, Peter Tighe, Peter McMahon (0-1), B . Flanagan, W. Sherlock, P. Reilly (0-1), T. Dardis, S. Byrne (0-2), P. Tighe, A. Byrne, O. McMahon (0-1), J. Carey (0-3).

Subs: Padraig McMahon for Dardis, S. Reilly for A. Byrne, D. Flanagan for P. Tighe.

Junior Championship

ST. MARY’S ... 2-12

TRIM ... 2-9

ST. MARY’S chalked up another victory in the JFC at Walterstown on Sunday evening last when getting the better of Trim.

The Town side started well with the three opening points of the match but a goal midway through the half from Billy Bell brought St. Mary’s back into it and with Cormac Drew also in good scoring form the winners led 1-6 to 0-3 at the break.

Boosted by a goal from the penalty spot Trim narrowed the deficit to two points but St. Mary’s responded well with Eugene Cudden notching their second goal and Alan Fulham adding a quick point to put the match beyond the reach of Trim.

The losers did have a late goal but St. Mary’s lead was never seriously threatened.

Billy Bell, Cormac Drew, Fintan O’Brien and Eoin Craven were best for the Donore men.

St. Mary’s: D. O’Brien, D. Hughes, B. Lynch, B. Hughes, R. Victory, N. Craven, P. Scanlon, B. Bell (1-3), F. O’Brien, E. Craven, T. McDonnell (0-1), C. Drew (0-4), D. Smith (0-2), A. Fulham (0-2), E. Cudden (1-0).

Subs: D. Gogarty for B. Lynch.

Hill success


NOBBER ... 1-8

TWO third quarter goals from James Devereaux ended Nobber hopes and gave Bellewstown their first victory in the JFC at Slane on Sunday.

The winners registered all of their points in the opening half And were ahead 0-8 to 0-3 at the break, this despite having John Collier sent off in the opening quarter.

Devereaux’s second goal left ten points between the sides but Nobber who were still in contention for a knockout spot clawed their way back to be within three points at the finish.

Keeper Alan McKeon, Paul Brannigan, David Rogers, Alex Collins, Alan Smith and Devereaux were best for the ‘Hill.

Bellewstown: A. McKeon, P. Brannigan, A. Flynn, D. Teeling, D. Rogers, G. Brannigan, S. Black, A. Collins (0-1), Jason Collier, John Collier, A. Smith (0-4), J. Devereaux (2-1), P. Joyce (0-1), M. McEnteggart, P. Collins (0-1).

Subs: D. Harford for Teeling, M. Flynn for P. Joyce, P. Reilly for McEnteggart.