Sunday 22 April 2018

Weakened St Patrick's are blown away by Gaeil force

Joe Sheridan’s missed penalty didn’t help Senechalstown’s cause.
Joe Sheridan’s missed penalty didn’t help Senechalstown’s cause.



A VASTLY understrength St Patrick's continued their indifferent start to their league campaign with a second defeat at Grangegodden on Monday.

The Kells men led all the way, with captain Brian Hanlon in sparkling form in attack. Hanlon accounted for eight points of his side's tally.

It was 0-6 to 0-2 by the end of the opening quarter and at half-time St Patrick's prospects had only improved marginally as they trailed by three points, 0-5 to 0-8.

St Patrick's had their chances but struggled to make headway against the solid home defence in which Robby Flanagan and Barry Smith shone. Corner forward Henry Barry played deep into his own half and that also provided problems for the visitors' attack.

Barry increased the Gaeil Colmcille lead on the restart, though with Shane and Donal Landy and Niall Mooney doing well St Patrick's managed to stay in contention without threatening the lead at any stage.

They did get the deficit down to two points, but scores from Martin Barrett and Hanlon closed out the game for the Kells men.

GAEIL COLMCILLE: J C Lynch; S Flood, R Flanagan, L Ferguson; S Reddy, B Smith, S Reilly, G Arkins, 0-1, C O'Reilly; D Smith, B Hanlon 0-8, O Reilly 0-1, H Barry 0-2, M Barrett 0-1, F Newman. Subs: B Tormay for Flood, D McGovern for Newman, S Curran for S Reilly.

ST PATRICK'S: R Cluskey; A Mooney, D Quinn, A Byrne; F Everard, D Hagan, B Mooney; C Calvey, K Lynch 0-1; M Hagan, N O'Flaherty 0-1, S Mooney; S Landy 0-3, D Landy 0-3, N Mooney 0-2. Sub: N Whearty for M Hagan.



ST PETER'S continued their winning sequence on St Patrick's Day following a strong finish to record a home win.

Craig Berrigan scored an early goal for Dunboyne who were 1-4 to the good inside 10 minutes.

James Meade eventually got Seneschalstown off the mark from a free and he also accounted for three further points in the half, but it was the hosts who led 1-7 to 0-7 at the break.

James Conlon (two) and Joe Sheridan with a fisted effort were also on target for the visitors in that opening half.

Sheridan had a third-quarter penalty saved by Dunboyne keeper Andrew Markey, but with Meade accounting for a goal and taking his point tally to five and James Conlon and sub Jonathan Gilsenan also on the mark, Seneschalstown found themselves two points ahead in the final quarter.

However it was Dunboyne who finished much the stronger, scoring 1-3 without replay to take the spoils.

DUNBOYNE: A Markey; J Scannell, S McKenna, J Meehan; S Hogan, D Sweeney, B Comer; S McGarrell 0-1, D Gallagher; G McCoy, C Clarke 0-1, C Berrigan 1-6; G Robinson 0-2, G Gallagher 0-1, D Geaney. Subs: T O'Connor 1-0, N Carolan 0-2.

SENESCHALSTOWN: W McDonagh; D Byrne, D Matthews, J Byrne; M Carey, A Gleeson, C Gleeson; R Ruddy, C Noonan; G Conlon, J Sheridan 0-1, J Meade 1-5; B Sheridan, J Conlon 0-4, N McCabe. Subs: C Macken for A Gleeson, A Carey for McCabe, J Gilsenan 0-1 for J Conlon.

Drogheda Independent