Sunday 9 December 2018

Curraha get back on track at the expense of Dunderry

Division 2: Curraha 0-11 Dunderry 0-7

With both club pitches unplayable, Dunganny was called upon for this Division 2 encounter and after the previous week's disappointing defeat to Syddan, Curraha bounced back in fine style.

The exchanges were tight in the opening passages, with Stephen Coogan opening the scoring for Dunderry. It took Curraha 13 minutes to get off the mark, with Conor Moriarty opening their account.

Moriarty and David Toner then added further scores as Dunderry responded with a point of their own. However, Curraha pressed home their advantage in the closing stages of the half with points from Moriarty (two), Toner and Padraic O'Hanrahan to lead 0-7 to 0-2 at the break.

An excellent point from Brian Murphy extended the lead for the 'Ha' before Dunderry added two points to stay in touch. Niall Murphy then kicked a great point to stem a Dunderry revival in the closing stages.

Jack O'Connor shot the insurance score before the finish and best for Curraha were Brian Joyce, Toner and Niall Murphy.

CURRAHA: L Hogan; S Hogan, N Murphy 0-1, M Jackson; I Battersby, N Shortall, D Toner 0-2; B Joyce, B Murphy 0-1; P O'Hanrahan 0-1, C Moriarty 0-5, P Dowling; D Coyle, N McLarnon, J O'Connor 0-1. Subs: S O'Hanrahan for Battersby, A Battersby for P O'Hanrahan, G Coyle for Coyle, S Keogh for McLarnon, A Coyle for Dowling.


Trim 0-11 Rathkenny 0-10

Rathkenny were unable to build on their impressive opening-round win against Nobber as they went down at home to Trim.

Youngster Aaron Lynch kicked the winning score in the final minute to give the town side their first win of the campaign.

There was little to choose between the teams at any stage, with the hosts leading by the minimum at the break, 0-7 to 0-6. Keith Curtis and Jack Gore both contributed three points each, while Brian Meade was also on target in that opening half for Rathkenny.

The lead changed hands on a number of occasions in the second half, with Meade edging his side ahead 0-9 to 0-8 entering the closing stages.

Meade hit another point, this time to level the sides, but it was Lynch's fifth point which eventually decided the issue.

TRIM: Barry Callaghan; Declan Dowling, Luke Moran, Rory McGrath; Alan Douglas, Daryl Phelan, Gerry Dwane; Joe Donohue, Frankie Murphy; Mark Murray 0-1, Kieran O'Rourke 0-1, James Cullen; Mikey Cullen 0-2, Darragh Lynch 0-2, Aaron Lynch 0-5. Subs: Alan Carey, Sean Fitzgerald, Jack Cottrell, Brian McKeown, Kieran Joyce.

RATHKENNY: Colin Curtis; Mark Byrne, Ross Gore, Joe Gore; Stephen Crosbie, Christy Meade, Thomas McGuinness; Brian Meade 0-3, Robbie Garry; Jack Thompson, Jack Gore 0-3, Keith Timmons; Keith Curtis 0-4, James Macken, Evan Crosbie. Subs: Donal Curtis for Macken (BC 3/4), Ronan Curtis for E Crosbie.


Syddan 1-18 Oldcastle 3-12

Daire Rowe's 11th point secured a share of the spoils for Syddan in this keenly contested Division 2 league tie at Ludlow Park on Saturday.

The equaliser came with the last kick of the game from a free, after an Oldcastle defender was penalised for an illegal hand pass. The ball was then brought into a more favourable scoring position following dissent.

That equaliser completed a fine comeback by the home side who faced a four-point deficit with five minutes remaining.

Oldcastle also led by four points at the break, before Syddan staged a revival in the third quarter. They were boosted by a goal from Padraic Dillon and edged ahead by the minimum at one stage.

The visitors, who were having their first outing of the campaign, squandered an early goal chance and it was Syddan who made the better start as they opened up a 0-4 to 0-2 lead. A Robert Farrelly point left the sides level before Oldcastle led for the first time following a pointed free from CJ Healy.

Jason Scully accounted for Oldcastle's opening goal when he finished a fine move involving Paddy Gilsenan and Farrelly, but the hosts recovered from the concession of that goal and were back level following points from Kevin Traynor and Daire Rowe.

However, it was Oldcastle who finished the half stronger, with a goal from Farrelly and then a Paddy Gilsenan point to leave them leading 2-6 to 0-8 at half-time.

That lead stretched to five on the restart, but Syddan upped the tempo after that, with Rowe accounting for three points and Graham Garland adding another. They were back level when Padraic Dillon got on the end of a Sean Clare delivery to punch past Conor McHugh.

Rowe then pointed Syddan ahead twice, but Oldcastle were back in the ascendancy after Scully pounced for his second goal on 50 minutes.

The lead increased further after Eoin Gilsenan and Farrelly hit quickfire points. Oldcastle, though, failed to register in the final 10 minutes and Rowe (free), Traynor and Clare closed the gap before Rowe accounted for the equaliser.

SYDDAN: Ciaran Farrelly; Kevin Garland, Ronan Mooney, Mark Fedigan; Stuart Fedigan 0-1, Andrew Garland, Kevin Traynor 0-3; Sean Clare 0-1, Cormac Rowe; Michael Fedigan 0-1, Daire Rowe 0-11 (8fs), Graham Garland 0-1; Jack Reid, Gary Farrelly, Padraic Dillon 1-0. Subs: Ryan Summersby for K Garland (17), Cormac Rafferty for Mark Fedigan (46), Cathal Dardis for G Farrelly (52), Peter Sheehy for S Fedigan (58).

Drogheda Independent