St Patrick's to be a celebration weekend
In a little over two weeks' time there is a special weekend programme of events taking place in the centre of Drogheda - organisers are bringing a taste of the Fleadh to the town over St. Patrick's weekend.
The programme for the weekend is been finalised however a few highlights already announced include:
* Fri 16th 7pm Barbican Theatre - Tim Edey, BBC Musician of the Years with local musicians €10
* Sat 17th 10.30-11.30am Pop-Up Gaeltacht ar siúl i nGailearaí na Highlanes
* Sat 17th 12pm Drogheda St. Patrick's Weekend Parade - Grand .Marshal Lolo Robinson, Drogheda Comhaltas, Free
* Sat 17th 1.30pm-5pm Music at the Magical Marquee - Trad Seisiún, Face Painting, Balloon Art & More Family Entertainment - Duke Street Car Park - Entry via The Grey Goose
* Sat 17th 4pm - Songs, Fiddle tunes and Harp Airs of Oriel - Beaulieu House Concert with Gerry Cullen, Sylvia Crawford, Pádraigín Ní Uallacháín & Breige Quinn. €15
* Sat 17th 7pm - Drogheda Comhaltas Céilí: Holy Family Community Centre €5, Children Free
* Sun 18th 2pm - Fleadh Sunday Laurence Street - Traditional Irish Busking Competition, Céilí at the Gate, Laurence Street Family Appreciation Party, 3pm - Live at the Highlanes Session, 5pm - McPhails Session - Free
With Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann being held in Drogheda this August it is hoped that the weekend Festival will give local people and visitors a taste of the Fleadh. The most up to date programme can be checked out online at www.facebook.com/fleadhdrogheda.
Rory Scott, Chairperson of the Fleadh Charter & Legacy Committee urged the local community to support the St. Patrick's Festival weekend and help Drogheda Celebrate Irish Culture in the year of the Fleadh:
"Over the last few years we have seen a huge increase in the interest in Irish culture in the Drogheda area, particularly with young people, and the numbers learning traditional Irish music have soared. We look forward to showcasing the best of local traditional Irish culture for the weekend and we encourage everyone to come along and support the events,' he stated.
To get in touch with the Fleadh Charter & Legacy Committee and to become involved with the weekend email: firstname.lastname@example.org