An application has been made to Meath County Council for the reinforcement of the existing shore rock armour at the Nannywater Cottage at Corballis, Laytown.
The application seeks the reinforcement of existing shore rock armour on the beack extending from the northwestern riverbank around the gable end of the cottage to midway along the east boundary with a breakwater staggered row of 1m3 boulders. Screening for Appropriate Assessment has been submitted and Foreshore License sought. Nannywater cottage is a protected structure. A decision is expected on April 25.
The Nanny Water Cottage, one of the most photographed locations in the region, has a famous history as it was the first coastguard station in the region. It was built as a response to the extensive illicit smuggling trade in the Irish Sea in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. It is claimed that the cottage was part of a small number of houses which belonged to the local landlord, Robert Taylor of Corballis House. In May 1871 the station moved to 'six cottages' in Laytown village.