independent

Wednesday 22 January 2020

OPW playground funding call

Hubert Murphy

Minister Kevin Moran is to be asked to provide the funding for a new children's playground in Oldbridge House, with one local councillor terming it a 'no brainer' in respect of more people using the facility.

Cathaoirleach of Meath CC, Wayne Harding, said the minister should back the project as it had been on the agenda for six years and has planning permission.

'There would be no anti-social behaviour and the council have agreed it as part of the County Development Plan. It could be like Ardgillan, it's a no brainer,' he told the area council meeting.

The previous proposal to the OPW to take on the plan was met with a reponse that they wanted the council to part fund it.

However, Director of Services Fiona Lawless said that would be setting a precedent as it was not on Meath CC property. They would have no say when it opened and closed, etc.

Cllr Sharon Tolan said they could look at it under the Town and Village Renewal programme.

Cllr Sharon Keogan felt the pressure should be kept on while Paddy Meade said it would help the OPW as well. 'It makes sense,' he remarked. Cllr Stephen McKee also backed it.

Drogheda Independent

News