independent

Monday 22 July 2019

No charges for kidnap accused

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has dropped all charges against a man accused of taking part in the "tiger kidnap" of a family in 2011.

Jonathan Gill (37) was accused of kidnapping a Drogheda postal worker, his partner and their 10-week-old baby daughter before robbing €660,000 from the man's workplace. He denied all the charges.

A previous six week trial in relation to the charges collapsed in 2017 amid concerns some jurors were getting information from outside the trial.

At Dublin Circuit Criminal Court last week, Vincent Heneghan SC, for the DPP, told Judge Karen O'Connor that the State was entering a nolle prosequi in three charges of false imprisonment and one of robbery.

This means the DPP is formally dropping the prosecution of these charges. No reason was given in court for the decision.

On May 30 last year (2018), when the retrial had been originally scheduled to begin, Mr Heneghan told the court that the prosecution were missing a vital witness.

He said the witness was in Australia and the prosecution had contacted Australian authorities but had not heard back. He said the witness was vital for the State's alleged ability to identify the accused.

The trial date was adjourned and set down for last Wednesday.

Mr Gill of Malahide Road, Swords, Dublin, had pleaded not guilty to falsely imprisoning Warren Nawn, Jean Marie Nawn and their ten-week-old baby in Drogheda between August 1 and August 2, 2011.

It was the State's case that Mr Gill was one of a group of five who were involved in holding the family hostage in their own home before moving them to a shed about a 90-minute drive away.

During the first trial in April 2017, on the fifth day of deliberations, the jury foreman handed a note to Judge Elma Sheahan stating that he suspected that "people are getting information from people outside the jury" and are "using that information to make their decision."

Drogheda Independent

News