Saturday 16 December 2017

Jailed for knife attack on Oulster Lane

It was a 'vicious, violent, ruthless assault' - Judge John O'Shea

A 21 year old Drogheda man has been jailed for one and a half years for what Judge John O'Shea branded 'a vicious, violent, ruthless assault'.

Dean Johnson of 18 Rathmullen Park pleaded guilty stabbing a man whom he had followed after a party.

Evidence was given at the Circuit Court in Dundalk that the victim had been out socialising on the evening of June 28, 2014. The accused had been present, went away for about an hour but his mood had changed and he was behaving in a peculiar fashion when he returned. He took out a kitchen knife and started waving it. The victim and his friend decided to leave as they felt there was going to be trouble. As they left, they heard shouting behind them.

They continued past Sarsfield's pub down Chord Road when the group, including the accused, caught up with them, The accused walked towards him with a knife in his hand, and the victim ran up Oulster Lane, where the accused caught him and began swinging the knife into the left hand side of his body. It broke the skin and the knife went in before breaking in two and falling to the ground.

The group walked away and the victim kept walking up Oulster Lane. He began to feel pain and leaned against the wall. He looked down and saw blood on his t-shirt and the gardai were called.

He was taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital where he was treated for a small stab wound on the left side of his stomach. While he had fully recovered from his injuries, he was still fearful when socialising at night. The incident still weighs heavily on him and he has nightmares about it.

While the accused initially denied having anything to do with the knife, he admitted it after being shown cctv footage. He also accepted that he could have killed his victim. He had no previous convictions.

Counsel for the accused said his client had just turned 18 at the time of the incident. He was attending a party and there was some suggestion that he left and when he came back his demeanour had changed due to drink or drugs. At that stage, for whatever reason, he picked up a knife.

Since that time, he had devoted himself to sport and had got involved in a MMA club, training three times a day. He had given up drink for concentrating on a life of physical fitness and would have his first fight in four weeks time.

His father had died when he was very young and he had limited cognitive abilities and had anger issues and depression, which he had self-medicated with alcohol. He was now dealing with life, hadn't come to the attention of the gardai and his partner was expecting a child.

Drogheda Independent

Promoted Links

Promoted Links