Saturday 16 December 2017

Maher's injury time goal puts Mallow through after Cup classic

MICHAEL Maher scored Mallow's winner three minutes into time added-on and that vital strike put the North Cork side into the fourth round of the FAI Junior Cup.


Doolon's Cow 2 Mallow United 3

While the visitors dominated the opening half, they failed to close out the game but, thanks to the late winner, they stay in the biggest nationwide competition.

Twenty-two junior games were cancelled last weekend because of the terrible weather but this third round fixture went ahead in Mayfield thanks to the club's all-weather pitch.

The home side play under the name of their pub sponsor and they compete in the Cork Business and Shipping League. Despite the unfamiliar setting, Mallow settled quickly and they played their best football in the first half. Dan O'Hare and Derek O'Flynn both scored from open play and the visitors took the two-nil lead into the half-time break.

Mallow continued to play good football in the second half and Stephen Doody and Paul Moroney continued to dominate at midfield. However, despite this dominance, the visitors did not add to their lead.

Doolon's Cow slipped in for a goal on 70 minutes but the danger seemed to have passed until, with one minute on the clock, they equalised against the run of play. With extra time looming, Mallow found some urgency and Michael Maher got the winner on a corner in time added-on.

Mallow United's Junior side continue with the FAI Junior Cup this Sunday morning with a fourth round fixture at home to Ringmahon Rangers.


UCC 3 Millstreet Celtic 3

THIS League 1A draw kept Millstreet in third place behind the leaders Glenvale and their neighbours Rathcoole Rovers. More important than the point for Millstreet, however, was a good-quality workout before their St Michael's Cup semi-final this weekend.

Millstreet got off to a good start on the pristine pitch and they deserved to go ahead after 25 minutes when striker Tadhg Collins scored directly from a freekick.

Over the next quarter of an hour, the game settled into a contest for possession with neither side creating any clear- cut chances. UCC broke the deadlock with two goals in quick succession and they kept their 2-1 lead during the five minutes to half-time.

The visitors also made the better start to the second half. With an hour played they equalised when Michael Murphy played a good pass over the College defence for Tadhg Collins to run on to. The forward did well to touch the pass to the side of the keeper and he half-volleyed his second goal from close range. Ten minutes later, however, the students were back in front when they intercepted a clearance and hit Millstreet on a quick counter attack to make it 3-2.

Despite this setback, Millstreet had not been outplayed and shots on goal by Tadhg Collins, Mark Ellis and Micheal Murphy suggested that a goal was on the cards.

They got their deserved equaliser with one minute to go when they were awarded a penalty for a hand ball. Their penalty taker Tim Kiely made no mistake from the spot with the UCC keeper guessing the wrong way. Millstreet again threatened over the remaining three minutes but, in the end, they had to settle on a point.

All told, Millstreet had a good second half with two equalisers. The game was good preparation for their St Michael's Cup semi-final away to Village United on Saturday. Millstreet will hope to progress with a repeat of their attacking

play coupled with higher-intensity defending.


Watergrasshill United 2 Ballinhassig 5

THIS result tied the teams in the middle of the League 1 table with 12 points from nine games. While the home side won the corresponding fixture two weeks previously, Ballinhassig's finishing from set pieces decided the outcome on Sunday.

Despite the cold rain, the game went ahead after a referee's inspection and the home side settled quickly and went ahead after 15 minutes. Midfielder Jason Foley played through a telling pass and Johnny Dorgan took the opportunity to put Watergrasshill up one-nil. The rest of the first half was evenly contested. Gavin Daly went closest to extending his side's lead with a good shot off the Ballinhassig post and his side led one-nil going into the half time break.

The second half rained goals. Ballinhassig equalised from the penalty spot after ten minutes though the home side were ahead again within five minutes. John Barton won possession on a cleared corner and passed to midfielder Jaon Foley who swung in a low cross. Gavin Daly connected but his shot was well-saved, only for Johnny Dorgan to get a second goal on the rebound.

The visitors also scored on a rebound from the keeper's save with 25 minutes to play. Then they made it 3-2 when a corner was flicked on at the near post and the subsequent goalmouth scramble finished with the ball in the Watergrasshill net. Ballinhassig converted another free kick to make it 4-2 and they got their fifth with five minutes on the clock on a quick counter attack.

Watergrasshill will hope to put this result behind them with a win at home to Innishvilla B in the Corinthian's Cup first round this Sunday.

Promoted Links

Promoted Links